AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Suspension settings grey out in Dynamic (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/suspension-settings-grey-out-dynamic-2955669/)

Jack88 08-14-2018 10:34 AM

Suspension settings grey out in Dynamic

I have an interesting issue where the suspension settings grey out when I switch to dynamic at random and frequently. They will all be selectable, then grey for a few seconds or minutes, then back to selectable. I can't figure what is happening and I am getting no error codes for it. I'd like to check connections and wiring, but I was wondering if anyone had encountered this before.

chudlin 08-14-2018 10:37 PM

the lift setting will be unavailable when trabvelling over 50mph. lift should be the only setting to grey out. none others. if all settings grey out then you have a leveling issue

Jack88 08-15-2018 09:15 AM

Yeah, all settings grey out, but I'm confused at the complete lack of codes for it, and it only happens in dynamic. Everything I can think of would also throw a code.

chudlin 08-15-2018 12:42 PM

in this case, i would assume that when the car gets low, its going out of its range and then it greys out. iv had this before. check your leveling sensor link arms. the are attached to the front and rear suspension wishbones, i think there are 4. you could also scan the car, clear the codes and then wait for it to come back then scan it again and read the errors.

MP4.2+6.0 08-15-2018 01:03 PM

Hmmm, when I had two of mine grey out (Dynamic and Lift), after a bunch of searching I finally found it was blown fuse for suspension compressor. It did not have codes. Since yours is intermittent, I would guess it is NOT that one. Instead, and admittedly a guess: since it is down the line from the fuse but could be intermittent, how about the relay? Known to wear. Also known to fail closed at times, which then leads to burned out compressor. If you haven't changed yours, good idea anyway. Either fuse (40A) or relay takes an under dash dive, so when I got at fuse I also did the relay. Opened my old relay up and found points were indeed worn. 100% good after that, so my my post mortem best guess on mine is eventually fuse blew with some old relay arcing. Car is with my brother in law now, so he might not have noticed anything amiss until the fuse blew and greyed out the choices permanently.

chudlin 08-16-2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
also another good point by MP4.2 that i forgot to mention.
here is the SSP if it helps

Jack88 08-16-2018 06:29 AM

Good idea on the relay, with all the suspension work I have done, it has been used a lot, including a couple pump overtemps from having to pump the system from being completely bottomed out. It still confuses me as to why it only does this in dynamic.

Dalplex 08-17-2018 12:10 PM

Mine dynamic setting gray out too on highway speed. But does work in local.

Jack88 08-17-2018 07:57 PM

I noticed that when in comfort, the lift mode greys out at random as well, even at speeds where it should be available. So whatever periodic thing is going on will allow the car to be lowered but not raised. I will replace the relay first and see if that takes care of it.

Dalplex 08-18-2018 01:54 PM

To me. All 4 options are available at local. Selected dynamic and drove on highway, no issue. But once back to local. It went into auto and dynamic would gray out. This will stay until next engine start.