Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suspension settings grey out in Dynamic

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Suspension settings grey out in Dynamic

Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88 View Post
Still having this problem with the suspension settings randomly greying out and then coming back. Does anyone know the conditions which the MMI would block out suspension settings that would lift it without triggering a yellow or green suspension light? I should also note, the up or down arrow on the MMI screen never illuminates either before or after this happens. I am truly stumped, here. I have rebuilt the compressor, it works quickly to raise the car, replaced the relay, and rebuilt a strut that developed a sudden and large leak, and it still has this issue....
The compressor temp sensor. When mine went bad the selections higher than where I was, were grayed out. No yellow suspension light. I did have a fault code on VCDS though. I think that fault has to be manually reset.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Neiko

I would check the codes with Vagcom. You might have another leak(evil never comes alone).Could be a combination of leaks-bad check valve +bad line,fiting or block. Is this an intermittent issue or a constant gray out.
In higher speed it is normal to see Lift grayed out(but it is consistent with the speed(above 55 if memort serbes well).
You might have something else going on if you dont find leak and buble test all fittings- is your spedometer reading acurately?-it can be sending the wrong input to the suspension system making it think you drive fast while you drive slow(not sure if it makes sense).
My gut feeling is - leak in another strut/fitting.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a faulty ECU to me. Or some sort of wiring issue that's making it disable but not severe enough to make it show a fault on the dash. Get it code read.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is intermittent! My gut also says a leaky strut, that the rebuild hasn't worked fully, although it seems to hold height well. I have it parked and will leave it for at least a day to see if it loses height, I left it in lift and jack mode. I only realized the symptoms were still there this morning, and I barely had time to post on it, nevermind look into it. I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow, when I will scan it and check the recommended things.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you care about the system graying out? You like to switch the mode while driving? If the suspension works as it's intended, leave it alone. It's may be normal graying out when not needed. No ones knows because no ones looks at the suspension screen while driving and not many would change modes while driving either.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I care, Louis, because I know it isn't normal, and that means it's a symptom of a problem. Depending on the problem, it can get worse and cause other problems or maybe make it very hard to get home. If I knew for sure it wasn't indicative of a bigger issue, I'd leave it alone.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, the strut was still losing air. From the fitting adapter thing, not the line and not the body of the strut, the little thing you need from the old strut. The o-ring in it is probably just old, but at least this is a problem with an easy solution.