A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the A8L today

Old 06-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove the A8L today

it was a brief drive, but I was quite shocked at how well it handled! Amazing how glued to the road with a complete lack of roll this huge behemoth is! My E500 feels like a whale after driving the (heavier and longer) A8L, with excessive lean at every turn. Incredible, and for those who can't handle the MMI, you are either not trying or not very clever...sorry, but it's incredibly user friendly and easy to navigate.

Great car - I was so pleasantly surprised. Now it's just a wonder if I can justify this as my 'freeway car' - it's an awful lot of great car to drive only occassionally.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quit waffling, and go get it ;-)

It won't be "occasionally" driven for long.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Default can't - have to wait until November/December

my MB lease goes through then. Still can't believe how lithe this monster of a car is. I miss the torque of the 5.0 liter E500 motor when passing on the freeway, but off the line acceleration in the A8 is much better.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A lot of car, yes...but you'll learn to live with it

When I got the A8L it was a bit of an impulsive decision as the 745Li really drove me out of the showroom despite my history as a BMW fanatic. But then I too wondered if I got too big of a car for just my wife and me...and the family's two 20 lb. dogs.

But now, I am at the point where I don't think I would get anything smaller as my daily driver again. While we don't use the backseat everyday, the space is amazingly handy when needed...like packing for a week's getaway at a lakeside cottage. And when I do take passengers in the back, I never have to worry about the available legroom no matter how tall they may be.

And yes, if we are so blessed with children in a year or so, it'll come in handy for family transport duties even if my wife gets her choice of the Volvo SUV.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like you've got just enough time to order a W12!

That should fix that torque envy LOL! We'll be looking forward to joining our little group here.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Even driven only occasionally, who deserves it more than you? ;-) I just ordered mine, and it'll..

...be driven mostly on weekends. Just makes Friday nights something extra special to look forward to. :-))
Old 06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A lot of car, yes...but you'll learn to wash and wax it!

And Luv it! They are big, but smaller than a Caddy Fleetwood, a SUV or a Hummer. It's all relative. I think A8L's are the perfect length. :-) Wax on, wax off!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd... ;-)
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default You will find plenty of excuses to drive it...

Lucky for me my wife's favorite restaurant is about a hour round trip for take out. I'm always the first to volunteer to go pick it up!

The A8 really is the Concorde of automobiles.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM

Default 100k plus is not in my future unless it's a Porsche

I plan to get a GT3 in the near future to replace my Boxster S, but I think in the interim I'll get another Boxster S because it is so dang fun, and the GT3 is so serious.

I'm sure the W12 will be incredible, but the lack of mpg and the few times I actually use it would be in excess for sure.

Great responses here, though, and I really did like the car a lot more than I thought. Now Chris just has to work some magic for me late in the year - you reading this, Chris? I want the Amaretto interior, and almost anything but black on the outside...loaded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove the A8L today