A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There A Cheap Diagnostic Cable For D3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

All knocked off OBDII VCDS will have a hacked 17.1 software that can't be installed on Windows 10, 8.1 due to software virus detection, Chrome won't even let you download on the seller website either. If you're going to buy a knocked off, I do see many for less than $30. Again, as Jack said, it's unethical. For me, I bought the original $350 as good faith but I also tried all the knocked off just for fun since I like to see what they do with the knocked off. It's not rocket science, just a communication tool with software to communicate through OBDII. All knocked off hardware will work fully if you get the right software version. When you buy a $10k car, you should include $350 in the cost of the car. I can hack the knocked off VCDS to use with my car, but I decided to shell out $350 just for GOOD KARMA.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
Well compared to the £15000 tool you mentioned it is amazing value for money but i have never heard of any individual spending that kind of money on diagnostic cables. The person obviously has too much money or is rather naive or perhaps both
I obviously did a bad job of explaining my local family firm They're actually a major Kent based service agent who've just moved into a £2 million warehouse and who service and fix hundreds of cars a week.

They're not VAG dealers so can't buy the VAS tool that the dealers have to use. I'm told that it's about £15,000.

I was making the point that non VAG dealers have to spend £5000 on a tool whereas the VCDS is only £250 for the same facilities.

Julian
Old 12-04-2017, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The VAS5054 is all over Ebay for $65 or so.

Of course, all of them will need a laptop so no matter what, the cable and software is a small fraction of the total cost.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Height: VCDS type adjustment is 17 mm max, not 1.7. 1.7cm... For ride, personal experience was down up to about 10mm did not particularly affect it, at least on my W12--non sport air struts but all the way up to S8 bars.

Cable: OBDII just gets you generic motor diagnostics and related emissions type overlap. Rear brake opening for routine brake work? Nope. ABS sensors or main unit? Nope. Codes for suspension issues? Nope? HVAC issues? Nope. Lighting issues? Nope. TPMS related diagnostics or switching? Nope. Optical loop anything? ... That just names a few of the more common ones pertinent specifically to D3's. Not if, when... Basically, go on to just name almost every system in the car, and it now has control modules that are accessible for at least diagnostics let alone mods.
Very interesting, the ride height is something i would like to experiment with. I guess i will think about which cable to buy and what i need from the cable.

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Maybe a VAS5054 would do what you want. They run about $75 and are all over ebay.
Cheers for the info Richard.

Originally Posted by Jack88
Yeah, fake cables won't function properly, that was my point, either buy the real thing, get a different product, or don't bother at all! And don't resell what you know is junk to other unsuspecting buyers, that's highly unethical.
I would not buy a second hand cable unless there was proof that it was genuine.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
All knocked off OBDII VCDS will have a hacked 17.1 software that can't be installed on Windows 10, 8.1 due to software virus detection, Chrome won't even let you download on the seller website either. If you're going to buy a knocked off, I do see many for less than $30. Again, as Jack said, it's unethical. For me, I bought the original $350 as good faith but I also tried all the knocked off just for fun since I like to see what they do with the knocked off. It's not rocket science, just a communication tool with software to communicate through OBDII. All knocked off hardware will work fully if you get the right software version. When you buy a $10k car, you should include $350 in the cost of the car. I can hack the knocked off VCDS to use with my car, but I decided to shell out $350 just for GOOD KARMA.
Cheers,
Louis
Im not saying anyone is talking rubbish but if the cheap cables do the same as the genuine cables why is other guys saying they dont.

Originally Posted by richard-tx
The VAS5054 is all over Ebay for $65 or so.

Of course, all of them will need a laptop so no matter what, the cable and software is a small fraction of the total cost.
I have the laptop and windows 7 anyway so it just the cable i need to invest in .

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
I obviously did a bad job of explaining my local family firm They're actually a major Kent based service agent who've just moved into a £2 million warehouse and who service and fix hundreds of cars a week.

They're not VAG dealers so can't buy the VAS tool that the dealers have to use. I'm told that it's about £15,000.

I was making the point that non VAG dealers have to spend £5000 on a tool whereas the VCDS is only £250 for the same facilities.

Julian
Ah ok i get you now, i thought they were buying the diagnostic equipment for personal use, it did seem a bit extravagant Maybe Santa will bring me a genuine Ross Tech cable
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Neiko

Originally Posted by revelator1969
I have owned other older Audi's and Vw cars in the past and i was able to use my cheap ebay obd2 cable with vcds lite to scan for errors etc. Is there a budget diagnostic cable available for the Audi A8 D3 ? Im not in need of at the moment but i would consider buying one as long as they are not too expensive.

cheers guys
The ebay link product works fine, it is a knock off, so not ethical towards thr original manufacurer, but have 100% functionality just follow the instructions that come with them. Kind of like OEM vs China airstruts or other expensive parts.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by svetlin_borisov@yahoo.com
The ebay link product works fine, it is a knock off, so not ethical towards thr original manufacurer, but have 100% functionality just follow the instructions that come with them. Kind of like OEM vs China airstruts or other expensive parts.

Good luck
Ok thanks for your feedback/
Old 12-12-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by svetlin_borisov@yahoo.com

Good luck
hi just interested in this product. do you have to run the cd to install software? sorry if this sound dumb question as I plan to use a win10 Tablet if that makes sense. Also is the product a copyright infringement ? So how many of us use copy Sat nav CD?
Thanks

Last edited by H-M3; 12-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Neiko

Originally Posted by H-M3
hi just interested in this product. do you have to run the cd to install software? sorry if this sound dumb question as I plan to use a win10 Tablet if that makes sense. Also is the product a copyright infringement ? So how many of us use copy Sat nav CD?
Thanks

You can install this on win10, i have done it on my all in ine type of pc/tablet/ desktop/ piece of crap Dell, but keep in mind you have to work around the virus detection. Also the knock off requires to disable updates(the Ross tech software automatically checks for newer versions).
You dont need a cd rom to install, just transfer files and follow the instructions from the supplier.

Good luck!

Svetlin