A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 75K miles D3 from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a 75K miles D3 from Texas

Well I've been searching on cars.com just to kill some time and I ran into a 2005 D3 with only 75K miles, 2 owners, non smoker, damn near in perfect condition and they are asking 14.9k. I'm thinking about offering 13K for it and I really don't want to pay anymore than that. It is in Dallas TX and I obviously love the fact that its never seen salt or snow. It's the same exact clone as my 04 but the only difference in appearance is it has the amaretto interior. Everything else looks the same. But it does have the massaging seats, standard Bluetooth, advanced keyless start. But it does have an accident back to Oct 2010 which doesn't bother me. Do you guys thing it will be a good idea to upgrade to that and sell my 04?? I figured for the price and the mileage combination it won't be a bad idea. If it's a good idea and its the price I want then i'll take a flight out and drive the car 18 hrs back. Ok thanks.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, here's the link:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/compare_ods.jsp
Old 12-25-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would upgrade to either 06 or 07, 04 and 05 are practically the same car.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-25-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Kind of +1, though it must be at least a mid-2005...

if the one OP is considering has Bluetooth instead of OnStar. But having looked at the Mitchell parts listings in the past, a lot of stuff kept changing in the first few years as the design and bugs settled down. 2006 is a better one, and 2007 gets back up camera and FSI if you want it (no more timing belt). 2008 would be the refresh point if you can shoot that high.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
if the one OP is considering has Bluetooth instead of OnStar. But having looked at the Mitchell parts listings in the past, a lot of stuff kept changing in the first few years as the design and bugs settled down. 2006 is a better one, and 2007 gets back up camera and FSI if you want it (no more timing belt). 2008 would be the refresh point if you can shoot that high.
It is a mid 05 and has no onstar so it does have Bluetooth and has advanced key which is what I like. I can't shoot up to an 08. I don't want any payments lol. I'm trying to pay cash. I know it's the same car with the grille and etc but the low miles and the right color combo. Not too much of a fan of the 2006+ grille.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Has it had a timing belt and water pump change? Due at 75k or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Good bargaining chip for you there.

Aside from that, as long as it's been looked after (usually obvious) most of the common bugs will have been sorted with updated parts by now.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Has it had a timing belt and water pump change? Due at 75k or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Good bargaining chip for you there.

Aside from that, as long as it's been looked after (usually obvious) most of the common bugs will have been sorted with updated parts by now.
Chances are....probably not. I know I shop now that can do it for me including the serpentine belt, and thermostat all for $950 OTD. I don't know if they will bargain because of that. It's usually pay the price they ask for after when you negotiate a price or walk away. Or I could nitpick the crap out of the car and offer them 12.5K. What do you think??
Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Is that shop using OEM parts? Not the Blau "like oem" or "oem guts" stuff. Search this thread for my experience with their so-called "oem quality" serpentine belt, water pump and timing belt. I escaped their belt snapping on me but just barely. Another poster had a worse experience with their belt. Anyway, I ask because I paid almost $800.00 for genuine parts from an Audi dealer and that included a disCOuNt. I find it hard to believe you can get it done for$950.00 out the door unless the parts are not OEM and maybe the shop is not replacing the idlers and tensioners.

Good luck with the car. I have an '04 with a little over 202,000 miles on it and still love it. Hit 110 mph on a short road tip a few hours ago. I had the speed limiter blown out a year ago. Makes for some fun stuff when a corvette toys with you.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Is that shop using OEM parts? Not the Blau "like oem" or "oem guts" stuff. Search this thread for my experience with their so-called "oem quality" serpentine belt, water pump and timing belt. I escaped their belt snapping on me but just barely. Another poster had a worse experience with their belt. Anyway, I ask because I paid almost $800.00 for genuine parts from an Audi dealer and that included a disCOuNt. I find it hard to believe you can get it done for$950.00 out the door unless the parts are not OEM and maybe the shop is not replacing the idlers and tensioners.

Good luck with the car. I have an '04 with a little over 202,000 miles on it and still love it. Hit 110 mph on a short road tip a few hours ago. I had the speed limiter blown out a year ago. Makes for some fun stuff when a corvette toys with you.

The timing kit that they use is made by Contitech which is a good brand. Not that generic crap. I had them return my old parts to me and they also replaced the rollers and the tensioners and the water pump all the $950 including the serpentine belt and thermostat. I made damn sure they replaced everything which is why I requested my old parts back and those parts do look the same when they were on there before. Before that I decided for the hell of it when I first bought the car to take one of the timing covers off and I knew at that time nothing was done.

Hey did you buy your D3 new??
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8
The timing kit that they use is made by Contitech which is a good brand. Not that generic crap. I had them return my old parts to me and they also replaced the rollers and the tensioners and the water pump all the $950 including the serpentine belt and thermostat. I made damn sure they replaced everything which is why I requested my old parts back and those parts do look the same when they were on there before. Before that I decided for the hell of it when I first bought the car to take one of the timing covers off and I knew at that time nothing was done.

Hey did you buy your D3 new??
No, it is an early '04. Built in March, 2003. Delivered to original owner in August, 2003,.came in off of a 2 year lease and sat for 4 months after auction. Paid half of sticker price. High mileage though, 56k when I bought it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 75K miles D3 from Texas