A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Thinking of buying a 2009 Audi A8L.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thinking of buying a 2009 Audi A8L.

Hello, new member here just asking the same questions you guys have probably heard a hundred times. But anyways I'm looking at buying a 2009 Audi A8L with roughly 142,000KM on it.

Link to vehicle ad.
https://www.germanfinecars.com/inven...di-a8/3118552/

I have also attached the Carfax for this particular vehicle. I know these are expensive vehicles to start with and I'm only looking at one since I'm in the market for this price point of a vehicle. In reality the smart/boring thing to do would be to buy a used Honda Civic or the like but I have always loved Audi's and the D3 model is timeless in my eyes. I could never buy a new one with all the warranty perks so used is my only way, plus wouldn't you rather drive a Audi A8 then a Honda Civic lol? I have read every thread about the 2009 on this forum and literally have watched and read hundreds of reviews about this particular model year. Obviously I know there will be maintenance and repair issues due to the age of the vehicle and I am used to higher than normal maintenance costs (I've owned diesel 2500 trucks and currently drive a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 pick-up truck which I would sell for the Audi) but honestly if anything major were to happen with this car I would most likely be unable to pay for it. I am somewhat mechanical and electrically adept so I could do routine maintenance and repairs myself ( I think lol). I know the basics of what to look for but I get such a mixed bag of opinions with this car with some hating it to some just loving it. Is this model just a regular high maintenance vehicle or is it just a design disaster waiting to explode? Perhaps I'm a pauper who has princely aspirations with-out the wealth and should forego the experience of owning a high-end vehicle in my lifetime and live with-in my means? But what fun would that be lol!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2009 audi a8 carfax.pdf (2.29 MB, 12 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most of the common issues are well documented here. The only issues you would have trouble doing yourself is if the timing chain develops problems and intake manifold carbon fouling. Other issues aren't too bad if you're handy. Try to budget to put away money for an emergency.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88 View Post
Most of the common issues are well documented here. The only issues you would have trouble doing yourself is if the timing chain develops problems and intake manifold carbon fouling. Other issues aren't too bad if you're handy. Try to budget to put away money for an emergency.
Thank you for replying and yes I would be saving up for repairs and also purchase a VCDS HEX-V2 interface.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 09 A8L. Here is a list of things I've had done (from memory):
-Carbon cleaning
-1 Injector replaced
-All spark plugs and coil packs replaced
-Air compressor replaced
-Front driverside strut replaced
-Rear driverside bearing replaced
-Throttle body replaced
-Brake pads/rotors replaced

Other than that, the car runs beautifully.
-New tires
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mkchang View Post
I have the 09 A8L. Here is a list of things I've had done (from memory):
-Carbon cleaning
-1 Injector replaced
-All spark plugs and coil packs replaced
-Air compressor replaced
-Front driverside strut replaced
-Rear driverside bearing replaced
-Throttle body replaced
-Brake pads/rotors replaced

Other than that, the car runs beautifully.
-New tires
Thank you for replying if you could can you give me a rough estimate of how much you spent getting all that work done?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you can't fix it yourself and you don't have lots of money you are asking for trouble. Maybe look to Acura or Infiniti for something more reliable