A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 2009 Audi A8L.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2009 Audi A8L.

Hello, new member here just asking the same questions you guys have probably heard a hundred times. But anyways I'm looking at buying a 2009 Audi A8L with roughly 142,000KM on it.

Link to vehicle ad.
https://www.germanfinecars.com/inven...di-a8/3118552/

I have also attached the Carfax for this particular vehicle. I know these are expensive vehicles to start with and I'm only looking at one since I'm in the market for this price point of a vehicle. In reality the smart/boring thing to do would be to buy a used Honda Civic or the like but I have always loved Audi's and the D3 model is timeless in my eyes. I could never buy a new one with all the warranty perks so used is my only way, plus wouldn't you rather drive a Audi A8 then a Honda Civic lol? I have read every thread about the 2009 on this forum and literally have watched and read hundreds of reviews about this particular model year. Obviously I know there will be maintenance and repair issues due to the age of the vehicle and I am used to higher than normal maintenance costs (I've owned diesel 2500 trucks and currently drive a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 pick-up truck which I would sell for the Audi) but honestly if anything major were to happen with this car I would most likely be unable to pay for it. I am somewhat mechanical and electrically adept so I could do routine maintenance and repairs myself ( I think lol). I know the basics of what to look for but I get such a mixed bag of opinions with this car with some hating it to some just loving it. Is this model just a regular high maintenance vehicle or is it just a design disaster waiting to explode? Perhaps I'm a pauper who has princely aspirations with-out the wealth and should forego the experience of owning a high-end vehicle in my lifetime and live with-in my means? But what fun would that be lol!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2009 audi a8 carfax.pdf (2.29 MB, 75 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Most of the common issues are well documented here. The only issues you would have trouble doing yourself is if the timing chain develops problems and intake manifold carbon fouling. Other issues aren't too bad if you're handy. Try to budget to put away money for an emergency.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Most of the common issues are well documented here. The only issues you would have trouble doing yourself is if the timing chain develops problems and intake manifold carbon fouling. Other issues aren't too bad if you're handy. Try to budget to put away money for an emergency.
Thank you for replying and yes I would be saving up for repairs and also purchase a VCDS HEX-V2 interface.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the 09 A8L. Here is a list of things I've had done (from memory):
-Carbon cleaning
-1 Injector replaced
-All spark plugs and coil packs replaced
-Air compressor replaced
-Front driverside strut replaced
-Rear driverside bearing replaced
-Throttle body replaced
-Brake pads/rotors replaced

Other than that, the car runs beautifully.
-New tires
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mkchang
I have the 09 A8L. Here is a list of things I've had done (from memory):
-Carbon cleaning
-1 Injector replaced
-All spark plugs and coil packs replaced
-Air compressor replaced
-Front driverside strut replaced
-Rear driverside bearing replaced
-Throttle body replaced
-Brake pads/rotors replaced

Other than that, the car runs beautifully.
-New tires
Thank you for replying if you could can you give me a rough estimate of how much you spent getting all that work done?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can't fix it yourself and you don't have lots of money you are asking for trouble. Maybe look to Acura or Infiniti for something more reliable
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Chrischen,
"Welcome to the club" of people who would rather drive an. 09 Audi A8L and in my case rather than a 92 Toyota 4X4 pickup. I started out looking for a
07 Lexus LS460, but after two excellent LS400s, exceptional vehicle aside, the thought of another reliable ho-hum Lexus left me cold (go figure). I've had
my A8L 2-weeks now. It has 72,300 miles on it. It was bargain priced because it needed front brakes, tires and there were a bunch of codes when we scanned
the entire car. Most were minor issues. The car runs silky smooth with plenty of power and I too expect to have issues at some point, but I've been around cars
a few times in my 80 years and will do what I think I am capable of and get professional help when I can't handle it. It is what it is. The car is a delight to drive.
It will turn out to be the best decision I ever made or the worst - LOL. Good luck with your decision.

Antonini
Old 05-18-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Find one with everything working and keep it well then you'll have no problems.
Find an honest seller who would tell you what's not working solidly.
A8L D3 is an extremely reliable car if you know how to keep it.
- don't take it to the shop to get butchered periodically if it's not broken... 99% the car health is ruined by mechanic mistakes.
- don't mess it up with after market stuff and especially VCDS or similar.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-18-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very good advice - thank you.

Antonini
Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep it up to date on the maintenance and enjoy the ride! If you have any issues, feel free to come on here and have a look around or ask about it, there really aren't any new problems on these cars anymore!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2009 Audi A8L.