A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with OnStar, does anybody offer a factory bluetooth module upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Those with OnStar, does anybody offer a factory bluetooth module upgrade?

I have been doing an electronics modification package on my new to me 01 S8 which includes factory Bluetooth with my RNS-E navigation system.

I believe that there is a high likelihood of taking out the telematics module (will no longer have OnStar) and interfacing it will a factory bluetooth module. This is NOT a MOST device, it's just a 42 pin connector (hard wired, not fiber optic).

Don't know if it would talk to MMI system or not because it's not a MOST device, have to do more research.

I will have the module soon and if people are interested in kits (and paying me a fee per kit such as $100) I would consider trying it out on a Chicago car.

If it did work and I made a kit consisting of a factory module, any wiring changes (maybe a plug and play wiring harness for any changes) and procedure, it would be $600 or maybe $650 if a plug and play harness would be needed.

Any interest?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Help me out here..

On Star goes bye-bye in the analog type vehicles the end of this year. The Bluetooth thing you mention would replace it and wirelessly interface with a compatible cellphone for $600 or so. Why not just use my cellphone for $0 additional? Plus, my cellphone has a built-in speaker phone for hand-free use.

What am I missing here?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing

If you want to do it with a speakerphone using your own phone, you are welcome to it. I was thinking the phone could integrate into the MMI system with some engineering just like the 05 and laters with bluetooth.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul, for clarification, are you talking about bluetooth for the D3, not your D2?

The bluetooth retrofit into a D3 is not a simple "onstar replacement". The D3 onstar talks to the CANbus only whereas the D3 bluetooth requires a MOST connection.

It is possible to remove the onstar module and also possible to retrofit bluetooth (with additional fiber chains), but the two are mutually exclusive.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I'm talking about replacing the OnStar module on a D3 with Bluetooth

I know it's not a MOST device, but was wondering if somehow you could get it to talk to the system.

Considering OnStar doesn't talk to the system, I understand that it probably won't. And I don't remember what the telematics control module tells the dash, etc. but whatever it does, the bluetooth could probably do the same.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Me too - Calling NSX JR for info.

I, too am interested in this for my 2004 A8L. I have the "puck" right now, but would like to ditch onstar and go with the MMI integration. NSX, can you give us an idea of how this works? I know it involves subbing out the onstar moduel for the BT module and replacing the ceiling panel, but I hav no idea as to cost and parts required. Is it a do it yourself thing?

Thanks!

Larry
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Yes, I'm talking about replacing the OnStar module on a D3 with Bluetooth

if you are using the puck, do you have to have your onstar activated or will it work regardless? the puck and type B cradle can be had for around the same price no mmi but some features through the steering wheel. I would for sure be interested if more MMI features could be had.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Re: Yes, I'm talking about replacing the OnStar module on a D3 with Bluetooth

No onstar required. The car connects through bluetooth to yur own cellular phone and service. However, you get no MMI integration (at least I don't). The steering wheel button works, as does voice dialing and a limited number of voice speed dials, but the MMI just shows as muted when you call. No caller ID, no address book, no nuttin.

I assume the retrofit that NSX is talking about would give you full integration.

Larry
Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Nothing

popping a bmw Bluetooth upgrade module into the phone slot costs about $250 and integrates with the MMI to allow use of the steering wheel button, OnStar mic and stereo speakers. It sounds like your proposed solution would cost more, be more intensive to install, and offer similar functionality. Is that right?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Think of it as two separate things...

#1 - Remove onstar because it is useless.

#2 - Install factory bluetooth module including an additional fiber chain to connect it to the MOST loop. The factory bluetooth must be connected to fiber for full integration. The onstar module is not on the MOST network so it is not a simple plug and play type installation.

I will be doing this soon on my car and will be preparing an install guide as usual and will place it on the downloads page of my website.

Sorry for the tardy reply, I was at Petit LeMans all weekend.

Quick Reply: Those with OnStar, does anybody offer a factory bluetooth module upgrade?