A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with OnStar, does anybody offer a factory bluetooth module upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the dead - did anyone ever achieve this? I'd be interested in gutting out the useless On-Star system and getting (preferably high-quality?) sound via Bluetooth through swapping. Does the "cradle puck" (Motorola unit? V60 or something right?) work fine for high-quality Bluetooth audio as well?

I am seeing conflicting information in the forum about ways to achieve these various things. All I want to do is stream high-quality bluetooth (without AMI) in my 2004 A8 D3, and if I can't find the right connectors for the FM modulator, this is another approach.

Thanks

Naudi
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

For what it's worth....the standard Audi OEM BT Telephone modules for this series of car doesn't support audio streaming, I recently removed the useless Japanese Nokia phone support module for an Audi OEM BT Telephone module, things to note:

1) The Nokia module doesn't use MOST, I had to run an optical link all the way from (below) the armrest (where the Nokia module was installed) to the CD/MD stackers in the glove box, that was 'fun'-not!

2) The electrical header (which is 3 rows of 10 or 20 pins) is pin for pin compatible with the Audi OEM BT Telephone module, that was a bonus.

3) Although I could 'attach' the OEM Audi BT Telephone module to the same place as the Nokia module I had to improvise & use industrial grade velcro (so I can remove it in future if I have to), because of where I placed it I had to source a BT RF extender, why? Because the Audi OEM BT Telephone module typically lives under the passenger foot-well with the BT antenna plugged straight into it.

For BT audio support I used a Dension BT Audio Streamer, the whole setup works great now, it to, works with the MOST bus & simulates 'extra' CD stacks, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, it supports multiple simultaneous BT connections, there's a number of key coding changes required which you'll need a VAG tool for, in particular the muting of any media being played back when receiving/making a phone call & then re-starting audio playback once you hang up.

Now I have Audi OEM Telephone functionality & HD BT audio to play back through my B&O system!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Been done to death over the years and there is no cheap way to do it. Save yourself a ton of effort and buy one of the following units which does exactly what you need.

Denison BT500S
or
Kufatec Fiscon Pro

I have the Fiscon Pro, and it works very well. Phone and A2DP all controlled through the MMI. No wire cutting or splicing. Just plugged right in.