A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time To Move On

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time To Move On

I've enjoyed my time on here the past 8 years but it looks like i'll be moving on soon. My family has grown (3 year old and 1 year old) and I will be looking at three row full size SUV's. I purchased my certified 1 owner Black/Amaretto 2007 A8L 7 years ago with 48,000 miles and since then have driven it to an enjoyable yet expensive 130,000 miles.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum which have helped me immensely. I am thinking of taking my car to Carmax soon to sell to them but first would like to see if you guys think it would be worth my time listing on the private market. I would like to get $8,000 for the car. Do you think it would sell fairly quickly? First off, problems with the car:
1. The driver side strut is leaking and no longer holds air overnight and there is a clunk over bumps from the drivers side.
2. Chipped front plastic license plate frame (new one is $120 from Audi).

Otherwise, the car is clean and well taken care of. Factory options it has are the Solar Sunroof (makes noise while open), Acoustic Glass, Front ventilated and massage seats and rear seat climate controls. Driver seat leather was replaced with a brand new one by Audi last year.

Over the past 3 years I've done all OEM parts:
-Brakes and Rotors
-Upper Control Arms
-Lower Control Arms
-Sway Links
-Sway Bar
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Transmission Flush
-Sunroof Drains
-AC Service
-Crank Shaft Seal
-MMI Screen Gear Replacement
-Michelin Pilot Sports (9 months old) and other service/maintenance items.

Here are some pics:

Do you think my car is worth $8,000 and could I move this fairly quickly or should I save my troubles and take it to Carmax? I would rather sell it to an Audi enthusiast. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I might be in a similar boat to you soon also. I think I’d just chop it in against a used 2015+ Yukon XL Denali, or similar. A8’s are slow sellers so you’d probably end up selling it for not much more than they offer but with a ton of grief to get there.

Check out the VW Atlas too. Immense inside, loads of gadgets, looks good in the right color/wheel combo. You’ll need to accept a fair downgrade in terms of interior materials quality and road performance, but with kids in the back trashing it, a high end fragile interior and fast driving are low on the list of priorities.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
I might be in a similar boat to you soon also. I think I’d just chop it in against a used 2015+ Yukon XL Denali, or similar. A8’s are slow sellers so you’d probably end up selling it for not much more than they offer but with a ton of grief to get there.

Check out the VW Atlas too. Immense inside, loads of gadgets, looks good in the right color/wheel combo. You’ll need to accept a fair downgrade in terms of interior materials quality and road performance, but with kids in the back trashing it, a high end fragile interior and fast driving are low on the list of priorities.
Thanks Dave. The Lexus LX570 and Mercedes GL550 are on my short list (2013-2015). I know the most practical vehicle at this point is a minivan but I’m not ready to take that plunge yet.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I’ve had a look at both these vehicles the LX570 I think is horribly overpriced for what is an archaic Landcruiser in drag. GL550 is a good car (Durango in a frock, believe it or not). But save yourself a ton of cash and buy the GL450 (the V8 bi-turbo version) and chip it to 500+ bhp. The engines are the exact same unit 450 and 550, literally just tuned differently.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 04-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve had a look at both these vehicles the LX570 I think is horribly overpriced for what is an archaic Landcruiser in drag. GL550 is a good car (Durango in a frock, believe it or not). But save yourself a ton of cash and buy the GL450 (the V8 bi-turbo version) and chip it to 500+ bhp. The engines are the exact same unit 450 and 550, literally just tuned differently.
I haven’t driven an LX but did drive a GL550. Even with all of the negatives of the LX570 (outdated gas hog, poor implementation of stow away third row seats, boring drive from what I’ve read) im still drawn to it based on reliability and the value it seems to hold. The GL550 was an enjoyable drive, I also drove the 450 with the V8. The 550 is a better SUV and offers more standard than the just horsepower over the 450 plus the wheels and body kit on the 550 make it look so much better.

Its insane for what I’m seeing 5 year old LX570’s asking price even with over 100,000 miles!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I know it doesn't hold the brand cachet of the other 2, but Escalade is worth a test drive. Since the new generation came out, the previous one's values have fallen off a cliff. Power, features, comfort, space, and as abysmal fuel economy as the others. The Range Rover would be my pick, if I had a warranty to go with it, at least for the first year.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie111

I haven’t driven an LX but did drive a GL550. Even with all of the negatives of the LX570 (outdated gas hog, poor implementation of stow away third row seats, boring drive from what I’ve read) im still drawn to it based on reliability and the value it seems to hold. The GL550 was an enjoyable drive, I also drove the 450 with the V8. The 550 is a better SUV and offers more standard than the just horsepower over the 450 plus the wheels and body kit on the 550 make it look so much better.

Its insane for what I’m seeing 5 year old LX570’s asking price even with over 100,000 miles!
Top of the list there is the cheapest LX570 in Qatar right now, thats a shade over $20k, almost 10 years old and 170,000 miles...
Think I'll stick with ze germans....

Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I just don’t understand the insane price premiums that Toyota Landcruisers, and their Lexus derivatives command. They’re not rare, they’re not objectively especially good, or look anything special.

Yes, they’re supposedly very tough, and reliable. But that’s only because they use tech from yesteryear that’s been refined to the point of having very little to actually break. Useful in some back of beyond location, on the Wholefoods run, not so much.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just don’t understand the insane price premiums that Toyota Landcruisers, and their Lexus derivatives command. They’re not rare, they’re not objectively especially good, or look anything special.

Yes, they’re supposedly very tough, and reliable. But that’s only because they use tech from yesteryear that’s been refined to the point of having very little to actually break. Useful in some back of beyond location, on the Wholefoods run, not so much.
Its because at 250k Toyota products still have a lot of life left, while others already fall apart. I have seen a Land Cruiser with over 600k miles (not km) with original engine
Old 04-29-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I hope I'll never be so desperate to drive a Lexus .
My Q7 has been the most reliable SUV ever. $0 expense in 10 years with 56k miles, well a new set of tires @ 40k miles I think.
Original brakes, bought pads but haven't replaced.
Cheers,
Louis

Quick Reply: Time To Move On