A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For New Brakes - What's the correct process?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time For New Brakes - What's the correct process?

I have a 2007 A8L and have recently felt a minor shimmy in the steering while braking.. First question - can the rotors be turned if they're in tolerance? Second question - from reading other posts it seems that there are times when you have to plug in the VCDS and reset the sensors? I've also heard that some people have been able to replace a four corners, pads and rotors, and not had to use the VCDS at all. If this is true, then what is the proper procedure for this? I have no issue with the brake change itself, just what might pop up electronically after. I don't currently have a VCDS so any process that avoids needing one would be ideal. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by aebarto11
I have a 2007 A8L and have recently felt a minor shimmy in the steering while braking.. First question - can the rotors be turned if they're in tolerance? Second question - from reading other posts it seems that there are times when you have to plug in the VCDS and reset the sensors? I've also heard that some people have been able to replace a four corners, pads and rotors, and not had to use the VCDS at all. If this is true, then what is the proper procedure for this? I have no issue with the brake change itself, just what might pop up electronically after. I don't currently have a VCDS so any process that avoids needing one would be ideal. Thanks!
Yes, you can turn D3 rotors if they are still in tolerance after the machine work.

HOWEVER, it seems you jumped right away to a conclusion a shimmy = brakes. I would not make that assumption with a D3 right off the bat. First, check your suspension and prior repair history. In particular if front upper control arms were never done, done over 50K miles ago using OE/OES parts, or done almost any time using junk/no name parts, I would guess that is your likely suspect for a shimmy. You will also want to look at tie rods and the rest of the set up. About a zillion posts on them now, so read up for a while if not familiar w/ them on D3.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on the control arms. I had a shimmy when braking at higher speeds (60+ mph) and assumed it was rotors/pads. It wasn't - it was the control arms. Inspect them and as MP says, check the age/condition of your control arms before you spend money on brakes you might not need.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, you can turn D3 rotors if they are still in tolerance after the machine work.

HOWEVER, it seems you jumped right away to a conclusion a shimmy = brakes. I would not make that assumption with a D3 right off the bat. First, check your suspension and prior repair history. In particular if front upper control arms were never done, done over 50K miles ago using OE/OES parts, or done almost any time using junk/no name parts, I would guess that is your likely suspect for a shimmy. You will also want to look at tie rods and the rest of the set up. About a zillion posts on them now, so read up for a while if not familiar w/ them on D3.
Originally Posted by 91quattro
+1 on the control arms. I had a shimmy when braking at higher speeds (60+ mph) and assumed it was rotors/pads. It wasn't - it was the control arms. Inspect them and as MP says, check the age/condition of your control arms before you spend money on brakes you might not need.
I've spent some time in there - I've replaced the uppers on both sides and the trac bar links. This was done about 15k miles ago. At the time - the lowers looked OK. I'm also getting the "noise" for the second time when you go over a bump or uneven surface. I was able to get it resolved by spraying lubricant on the main trac bar bushings. The noise is back - even after recently re-lubricating the same bushings. I didn't use the Lemforder uppers at the time due to inventory, but used what I thought were comparable. There are times when I notice that the shimmy is not there which has made me question the brakes as an issue. I guess the next step is to put it back in the air and look at the suspension.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

As for the brake job - is there a breakdown on the steps somewhere? I searched and haven't found a step by step on the procedures. Procedures meaning what steps/precautions to take during the brake job to avoid issues with warning lights and sensors. Basically anything outside the normal brake routine. Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Any procedure to replace the rear pads without using VCDS is an improper procedure.
Proceed that way at your own risk.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Any procedure to replace the rear pads without using VCDS is an improper procedure.
Proceed that way at your own risk.
That answers my question then! Not looking to cut corners - just trying to get more educated! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I've spent some time in there - I've replaced the uppers on both sides and the trac bar links. This was done about 15k miles ago. At the time - the lowers looked OK. I'm also getting the "noise" for the second time when you go over a bump or uneven surface. I was able to get it resolved by spraying lubricant on the main trac bar bushings. The noise is back - even after recently re-lubricating the same bushings. I didn't use the Lemforder uppers at the time due to inventory, but used what I thought were comparable. There are times when I notice that the shimmy is not there which has made me question the brakes as an issue. I guess the next step is to put it back in the air and look at the suspension.
Folks are indeed getting at little as 15K miles with some of the aftermarket junk, so recheck all. Some use vague names that sound Euro too, but whether Eastern European or China, there is much junk out there. Needs to be a recognized brand--Lemforder, TRW, maybe Delphi, etc. From experience, Meyle doesn't cut it as a contra.

Given what you mention, sounds like you should unbolt the sway bar and actually look at those main bushings. They are probably the third most common failure point--after upper arms and sway bar links. Mostly reported on the early ones though. You have to replace the whole bar if those are bad, since they are permanently molded to it.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Noise was reduced, and ride was smoother, after I replaced uppers. But the clunking was still there. Braking was smoother, but some brake shimmy remained. Then I replaced lower arms and both issues went away. Ride is great - like new - and braking has no shimmy.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Folks are indeed getting at little as 15K miles with some of the aftermarket junk, so recheck all. Some use vague names that sound Euro too, but whether Eastern European or China, there is much junk out there. Needs to be a recognized brand--Lemforder, TRW, maybe Delphi, etc. From experience, Meyle doesn't cut it as a contra.

Given what you mention, sounds like you should unbolt the sway bar and actually look at those main bushings. They are probably the third most common failure point--after upper arms and sway bar links. Mostly reported on the early ones though. You have to replace the whole bar if those are bad, since they are permanently molded to it.
Originally Posted by 91quattro
Noise was reduced, and ride was smoother, after I replaced uppers. But the clunking was still there. Braking was smoother, but some brake shimmy remained. Then I replaced lower arms and both issues went away. Ride is great - like new - and braking has no shimmy.

I had always assumed (from posts here) that the bushings were one piece. Recently I discovered that mine are two piece. I completely unbolted the bracket when I went to re-lubricate the 2nd time and half the bushing came off with the bracket. Is there a part # for a replacement bushing or do I just need to size it up?

As you can see the bushings are well past their prime:

I will re-inspect the lowers - it might just be time. I'll take a look at the uppers again as well - hopefully they're not already worn out.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Time For New Brakes - What's the correct process?