A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For New Brakes - What's the correct process?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Bushings are one piece - round. Those look like the sway bar bushings. They are bonded to the sway bar - and are not really replaceable. Per Audi I believe you are supposed to replace the entire sway bar (with bushings bonded to the bar - one SKU). Control arms are up above - 2 upper and 2 lower per side, 8 total. Also a C-link on each side that connects the sway bar to the lower straight control arm.

You may need to remove the wheel liner to get a good look at the upper control arms, which are the ones that usually wear out first.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

In your photo, you can see one of the lower control arms (lighter metal) behind the sway bar.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
In your photo, you can see one of the lower control arms (lighter metal) behind the sway bar.
Sorry - I had trac bar on the brain! - that is a pic of the front sway bar and that is a bushing off the front sway bar. I took off the other side as well and it was two-piece. I was always told that the sway bar bushings were one piece so I took the pic for proof. I also thought maybe both bushings has just separated into two, but it doesn't look like it. I'm hoping someone will chime in and confirm that some have two-piece bushings and there's a replacement available. I hate to buy a whole new bar just for the bushings. I know there's three different stiffness levels you can order, but I'm OK with what I've got.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Those bushings are way past GONE/JUNK. No, there is no bushing only replacement or two piece or any of that. The bushings are molded completely around the bar and only come as part of it. No one has ever posed a successful alternative replacement.

The bars are made in comfort, sport and S8 level--depend on how yours was configured originally. If cost is objectionable, get on eBay, though for a 2007 I would just replace new and enjoy for rest of life of car.

You really should put your location in your signature or avatar BTW. You never know when someone might offer something relevant, but it starts w/ knowing where you are.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aebarto11
As for the brake job - is there a breakdown on the steps somewhere? I searched and haven't found a step by step on the procedures. Procedures meaning what steps/precautions to take during the brake job to avoid issues with warning lights and sensors. Basically anything outside the normal brake routine. Thanks for the replies!
Brake pad sensor cables are found on the left sides, front and rear one each. They should be replaced with new pads. Some pads come with the sensor cables and some must be purchased separately..

The VCDS option for replacing pads is for the retracting the ebrake pistons on the rear axle. The software allows for retracting the pistons while pads and rotors are being replaced and releasing them when done. There are a couple of how-to videos in the forum on how to retract the pistons manually w/o VCDS but care must be taken to do it properly.

Rotors are not terribly expensive. If they are over half worn, rather than turning them down, it's best to replace them.

There are several videos showing how to replace pads and rotors in the AudiWorld forums and elsewhere on the internet. Google it.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-18-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Brake pad sensor cables are found on the left sides, front and rear one each. They should be replaced with new pads. Some pads come with the sensor cables and some must be purchased separately.

FWIW, this is Q5 or later A6 or something, but not D3 A8. D3 uses molded in pad sensors for both fronts, like D2 and C5 were. D4 went to a separate sensor, but not D3. Rear D3 is only monitored by parking brake motor; there is no separate sensor on either side in back, even though some indy pad companies like EBC may include some in the box.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
No one has ever posed a successful alternative replacement.

But I will..... I've changed mine with bushings from A8 D2 4.2 on my A8L 2005 USA version and 6k miles so far they are doing fine. Yeah, when I go down from sidewalks for example I hear some noise from below from time to time but with the price of 7$ for both of them I don't give a chit man ! If I hit 10k miles It'll be more than great!
Hope it helps someone....