A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire opinion: A/S 3 or Advan S.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Follow up on Advan Sport A/S: round trip to NYC last weekend, dry weather, about 350 miles, a lot of crappy roads, and the Advan's were great. Quiet and good "feel", even at 80 plus. 40 front, 38 rear for trip.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Follow up on Advan Sport A/S: round trip to NYC last weekend, dry weather, about 350 miles, a lot of crappy roads, and the Advan's were great. Quiet and good "feel", even at 80 plus. 40 front, 38 rear for trip.
Sounds promising. Have you had experiences with other environments and weather since? Thinking about getting them this week.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

A couple of rainy days and tires seem fine. But I haven't experienced standing water yet. I'm glad the decision is behind me--the down side of all this information availability seems to be overthinking.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Onthebeam, I had the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S mounted two days ago and so far I am very pleased. As to road noise, which seems to be your primary concern, they are very quiet. I drove a stretch of concrete interstate with the radio turned off (75 mph, dry) and all I heard was a little wind noise. Tire pressure 38 front, 36 rear.

As for handling and comfort, I drove some two lane winding asphalt back roads quite agressively, and they are at least as good as the Advan S4's, which I thought were excellent. The S4's were approaching 4 32nds when they came off, and the suspension was set, as always, to dynamic.

No rain yet. Hope this helps, Mike
I'm likely getting these installed this week. How are they doing for you one month in? Any feedback re wet handling, traction, hydroplaning, etc?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like them even more now that I have about 700 miles on them. Dry and wet, although I haven't experienced serious torrential rain.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just picked up a set of the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's for my 2009 A5 (255/35/19). So far I like them a lot and the price was right. I moved south, so I won't be able to try them in the snow (knock on wood), but the wet and dry traction has been great.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had my Advan A/S on for a few hundred miles or so and they seem great so far. We have not really had any rain or snow yet so no comment there. I did have Conti Pro Contacts on that were wearing unevenly on before, and I had both steering wheel shake and bad noises. New tires and alignment cured all of that. I drive the A8 like an old man for the most part, not a rally car, so I have no idea about fast cornering etc. But like someone else said in another thread, I think just pulling the trigger on new tires will give you peace of mind, there are so many options! I would say don't buy the cheapest, or most expensive, and you will be happy!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomhorn
I just picked up a set of the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's for my 2009 A5 (255/35/19). So far I like them a lot and the price was right. I moved south, so I won't be able to try them in the snow (knock on wood), but the wet and dry traction has been great.
With some reluctance, I'm going to be returning the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's this week to Discount Tire to swap out for the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S.

For handling, I can't fault the Hankook's at all. Very satisfied wet and dry. However, the noise and to lesser degree road comfort is frustrating. On a smooth road, as most reviews agree, they are quiet. However, on any road with some surface or even slight groove, including interstates, they roar very loudly. It's annoying and even with the stereo cranked up, very noticeable. As soon as I'm back to super smooth pavement, they are again quiet.

For ride comfort, some complain about jarring impacts such as going over expansion joints. They are firm, yes, but for me reasonable for a high performance UHP tire and not hard to get used to compared to noise issue.

After about 800 miles on the Hankooks, I've decided that, for me, the considerable pros don't outweigh the annoying noise factor.

I'll report back on the Yokos soon, too.

Last edited by onthebeam; 10-12-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greginfinity

So I have a little wobbling, and some road noise, and I started looking around and saw this gem! I guess I am leaning towards Yokohama Advan Sport A/S or Pirelli P7. Enough people have had apprehension with the Michelin A/S 3 that I don't want to pay a premium for them. I was planning on getting a dedicated snow for winter, but I doubt I will now. I will just drive the wagon in real bad weather, but somewhat ok snow performance on an all season would be nice. Thoughts?
What causes that type of wear? I have experienced that on my 2002 A6 and my 2001 A8L.
I did not notice the wear because I tend to look at the outside of the tires and did not take a close look at the inside. Though on the A6 this wear took place in less than 6 months
In both cases I had new tires installed and then had the Audi dealership do the alignment.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yokohama Advan Sport A/S vs. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

Originally Posted by onthebeam
With some reluctance, I'm going to be returning the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's this week to Discount Tire to swap out for the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S.

I'll report back on the Yokos soon, too.
OK, made the swap today. Initial impressions are that the Yokos are far quieter and also grip and corner well. No driving in the wet, yet.

The Yokos are also much smoother over bumps and expansion joints. The Hankook's were a bit jarring over the same areas, and far louder on less than pristine roads.

I'll be posting again soon with more detailed impressions after I've put some miles on them.

Quick Reply: Tire opinion: A/S 3 or Advan S.4