A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Todays research project - Windshield wiper troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Todays research project - Windshield wiper troubles

I'm getting ready to track down my Audi advocate but thought I'd check and see if anybody else was having the same problem. Greenie, I'm aware that you're frustrated with this issue, but after talking with my service advisor yesterday I have come to the end of my proverbial rope - time to rattle some cages.

For those who are new or don't remember here's the problem:

When using my wipers in auto mode and in intermitent mode they will occasionally stop in the middle of the windshield for several seconds, then stutter down to the bottom of the windshield, stay there for a second (as if to reset?) and then start again as if nothing happened.

I took my car in a couple weeks ago for several items, this being one of them. I was told they couldn't find anything wrong with them. Well, this week it has been pouring rain here, wipers quit on me several times. When I called my advisor yesterday he said that since the problem is unpredictable it wont do me any good to bring my car in to have it checked because unless it just happens to occur while they are testing the wipers it'll probably just be the same result as before - his final answer - just wait until the wipers fail and then bring it in.

Do you think AoA will pick up the tab for the accident that will happen as a result of them sitting on their hands waiting for this failure to happen?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the issue on my '04 as well...

My thoughts are with the speed sensing signal being interrupted or something to do with the wiper service mode as thats the angle where they stopped. I know it might sound crazy, but maybe mount (or have someone hold) a camcorder and hope you can catch it on video.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oh My G, how they make statements like this when it's safety related...

I can't say I have ever had that wiper issue happen to me, but it must scare the living hell out of you when it does.

As a side note on wiper action. Since you brought up this issue I have tried to stay sensitive to the wipers when it rains. I just noticed that if let's say I use the intermittent wiper feature while driving and it's raining and then turn car off ( say, go inside to the grocery ) and leave the wiper staulk in the same intermittent position, return to the car, start it up to leave and guess what..the wipers don't work in the intermittent setting that I had just left it in, when I turned the car off. I have to move the wiper staulk to off and then back to intermittent postion and it works. Maybe I'm just a little bit late in ever noticing this, but should it be that way?

Could this be a pre-curser to the Gina event?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default g, thats their STOCK answer! The problem lies in the fact that no code

was set that the vag-com could i.d. Is this a mechanical glitch? Is it a loose ground? We need to find out how many people are experiencing this and, on behalf of those people, I will confront Audi. If you have read my past posts, you can see the disdain that I have for this company so it doesnt take much to light a fire under my butt! You know, as well as I, that Audi would disclaim any potential causal nexus between an accident and the wiper failure. I thought of a good cartoon though. Dozens of A8s are crashing in a driving rain. Can you picture this? The line at the bottom of the "cartoon" is "Cannot duplicate customer complaint"!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have noticed the same thing D3. My Dodge Dart never did this!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why wouldnt this throw a code? BTW, I dont think that a video of the problem

would help in its diagnosis.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That sounds like a software feature to me...but now I'm wondering

I'm not sure if mind does this. Hopefully this won't bug me until I get home to try this.

I've never had any issues with my windshield wipers... but I didn't see much rain last year.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe it's Audi's way to get everyone to move to Phoenix ;-)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

......or to BMW!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But a video would show the problem occuring...

all it takes is evidence of the issue to open a case with the hotline. As to throwing a code, the control modules for the wipers do not have fault code storage that I know of.

Quick Reply: Todays research project - Windshield wiper troubles