A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Thanks MP4.2, I was just hoping that maybe by the 2009 D3 they put the center differential fill port in an easier to access location... wishful thinking. I think the part I am focusing on (with the bar code label on it and the protrusion on the side, is something attached just further back from the differential you have pictured in you port fill mod. picture. Any idea what that protrusion is, it does have screw with an allen slot going into it, like the other fill ports? Well, I'll start by following your suggestion of cleaning up the area and monitoring.
Thanks
I would need other pictures, but I think we may each just be taking a picture upward in the same general area but at somewhat different angles. That is the only fill for the whole center diff area and there are no drains. The forward diff fill is very far forward near the front axles, and I don't think your picture is up in that area. Looking for the big aluminum saddle crossmember casting that crosses from side to side below the rear drive tube is the easiest common reference point. We may each have similar pictures of the exhaust bracket too, but that may vary some in location and set up from the 4.2 to the W12 since the W12 has 4 cats and more piping around transmission and front diff area. The tranny case and general size is all essentially the same other than some extra add on external coolers for the W12.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i see, thanks,
I believe the part i am looking at its he TRANSMISSION TAIL SHAFT / HOUSING 09L321247,
here is the pic of it form wolf auto parts, it even has the lateral protrusion/fill hole. it seems to be full of some kind of fluid, and there is a rubber o-ring to contain it, which is right about where i see my drip. So the center differential is bolted on just forward to it. So, the next question is what fluid is the transmission tail shaft full of and do we just fill it till it dribbles out like other fill holes.?

Old 10-16-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok wait a minute, when I google the part number I see this as being the transfer case with the center differential (7) in it. Could the 2009 Audi A8L 4.2 L have a different port (11) for filling the center diff fluid? Anyone else worked on their center differential and it looked like this? So is this where i add the $90/L diff fluid with the Sturaco lubrication additive? Just a bit confused.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I would back up and do two things:

1. Go back under and clean area as previously noted. Then you have a better idea of leak location.

2. Look for the ZF nameplate on the side of the transmission. Farther forward, on the USA/Continental Europe driver's side IIRC. Will have ZF logo on fastened on plate, then it will say the model of the transmission. You might have a 6HP19A. Audi didn't publicize using those for D3's AFAIK, but it could be they cut them in for the FSI motor. Comes up when you look at trans fluid tables, and sometimes it says ZF8 for some later year specs. Mine is a 6HP26A, like in picture below. (A means AWD whether in nameplate or not). With the nameplate model, you can then just search web since the transmissions and procedures will be in common with same type. I think that one was used C6 A6's, Q7's and various other smaller Audis; they have different torque ratings depending on motor used even with same model type. The three letter code in the nameplate gets into specifics like that.

Second picture is a page I found from the 6HP19 spare parts guide from ZF. An actual picture, and it does look like fill plug you have been describing. BUT, note as I mentioned in the prior reply, you do not need to be using the Sturaco additive type big bucks fluid. In fact, the advice apparently is not to in a simple top up situation like yours or it can affect the Torsen function. ZF's own material is probably stating the same in the somewhat oblique wording, right there in the screen shot--that is apparently the hidden meaning of the "WARNING."

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-16-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, MP4.2, I'll start with cleaning and verification of transmission #. I'll top off with regular diff fluid at this point. Thanks again. I'll post a followup.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Thanks, MP4.2, I'll start with cleaning and verification of transmission #. I'll top off with regular diff fluid at this point. Thanks again. I'll post a followup.
Any follow up? Figure I ask here before I clean, drive, and then check where the stuff is coming from. I've already redone most the engine, no leaks anywhere.