A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Flush Opinion Question - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Thanks MP4, we can use the level against the frame to make sure it's on the level, I guess
For that what I do is first find an apparently level parking spot. Then I take my little torpedo level and find where on the roof slope the bubble reads as level. Since roof is aluminum of course it won't stay there even if it has a magnet, so I keep track of position or put a piece of blue tape on roof as a reference mark. Then as i get car up in the air I put the level at the same place on roof and confirm car is flat front to back. One step deeper, I either drive car onto ramps in front and then jack up back to indicated level, or I put ramps on sloping downward driveway at the right place so when I drive the front end up on them it gets to back to the relative level position.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-21-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Gosh, just to get it level already takes a lot of work... hope I don't have to do this any time soon but at least this thread will help people with shifting problems and want to do it at home. Are the shop lifts really leveled?
Thanks MP4,
Louis
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Are the shop lifts really leveled?
Thanks MP4,
Louis
If not, this can be the result.....
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
LOL, those are Mickey Mouse lifts. I always thought of the big single hydraulic post in the center of the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, those are Mickey Mouse lifts. I always thought of the big single hydraulic post in the center of the car.
To answer your question of: "Are the shop lifts really leveled?" when you refer to "the big single hydraulic post in the center of the car."; the answer is "yes".
Old 02-22-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I’d say that was more to do with not accounting for the altered load distribution once the engine and transmission had been removed, rather than the lift not being level.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been super busy at work. The discussion was so helpful and is greatly appreciated. I can’t find any evidence of a current leak and because it’s sealed I kinda figured flush was the only option but I’m definitely going to try topping it off and see if that makes any difference in performance
Old 03-04-2018, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cubchief3
Been super busy at work. The discussion was so helpful and is greatly appreciated. I can’t find any evidence of a current leak and because it’s sealed I kinda figured flush was the only option but I’m definitely going to try topping it off and see if that makes any difference in performance
Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dvs_dave

I’d say that was more to do with not accounting for the altered load distribution once the engine and transmission had been removed, rather than the lift not being level.
I agree completely. Picture added for shock value only.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. Turns out the fluid level is correct and looks pretty clean. I have a buddy who owns a shop and he took a look at it and like a few others here doesn't think it's a big deal or worth messing with. I'll probably put a remote start on it and start letting it warm up while I make coffee before the first drive of the day. I got it at a steal and my buddy said with the overall condition of it and for what I paid for it he would just rebuild it if it ever died. Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush Opinion Question - Should I or Shouldn't I?