A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems after battery replacement

So after battery started to give some problems I replaced it last month and coded it as per instructions , but after I changed the battery the transmission started to give problems shifting . There are no fault codes on engine or transmission , there were no transmission problems prior to the battery replacement. I tried to use Vag-com to preform the automatic transmission basic setting , but when I open the transmission window the button 04 basic setting is none responsive so I can't complete the basic setting procedure, and it seem that the transmission shifting is getting worse instead of getting better ( learning) . Is anyone came across this kind of problem or have any idea how to continue from here. I have updated the program to the last version 18.9 . The car is 07 , 4.2 FSI .

Old 10-15-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it all gears shifting or just one or two?

First, check oil level and cleanliness, also if the car has high mileage change oil and filter IF the oil is dirty. Tough this will be no help if there is a mechanical problem (mechatronic problem etc).
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All the gears are shifting , not as smooth as it was before it feels more to do with the TCU then mechanical, like the car doesn't know in which gear to be in and beside that it seem that VCDS can't open the basic setting window in the transmission to do basic setting.

Last edited by izzy64; 10-15-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
Is it all gears shifting or just one or two?

First, check oil level and cleanliness, also if the car has high mileage change oil and filter IF the oil is dirty. Tough this will be no help if there is a mechanical problem (mechatronic problem etc).
+1. A guess is the battery and the transmission issues are just coincidental. Probably as many as 8 or 9 in 10 transmission issues reported here are as simple as the fluid being low. If you get under the car--or maybe just look in your regular parking spot--and find any signs of leaks or fluid stains, you pretty much have your answer. The transmission fluid is a light oil, typically just dark look as it ages. Similar to power steering fluid, and lighter than most motor oils. Transmission is a sealed unit basically that should not lose any fluid. Search on how to check the actual level (there is no dipstick or other simple method), or take it to a shop. Obviously, any leak needs attention.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Transmission problems after battery replacement

Do a throttle body alignment. I had the same issue in my 2007, erratic shifting, sluggish performance, etc. If the battery is disconnected the throttle body needs to be re-aligned. This should solve the issue.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for all the responses , I got in touch also with Rose-tech to find out why I can't open the 04 basic setting in my VCDS, apparently in my car the module doesn't support this feature, and they as well suggested I'll do throttle body alignment and engine kick down , if this doesn't work try to re code the transmission to the same setting just enter the same values again (0000001 rw , us have 0000002) , close the vcds turn off and turn on the switch again , this way the transmission is going back to factory setting, and start learning my driving style . If this doesn't work then there will be no escaping from lifting the car and going under the car to check oil level this the last resort the car doesn't have oil spots under the transmission nor under the engine .

I will update with the results