A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still confused

My boot shuts (no electric motor sound) after a few slams. It locks and is safe.

My A8 had a soft close mechanism that worked but now it doesn't.

So is the problem likely to be the latch (top bit inside boot lid) no.20
or
Striker plate with motor shown in photo no.23

Please see diagram

Last edited by a8star; 03-29-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I should probably do mine sometime. Although when it first happened 2 winters ago I WD40'd the crap out of it and it's been fine since. It's only played up a couple of times this winter which has been far colder.

I wonder what the changes are on the revised part? Is it something as basic as it being packed with different grease that works at colder temps?

Also, as far as I can work out the unit has a release motor in it and a couple of micro switches for condition monitoring purposes. These are probably the electronics the dealer guy was on about.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by a8star
I am still confused

My boot shuts (no electric motor sound) after a few slams. It locks and is safe.

My A8 had a soft close mechanism that worked but now it doesn't.

So is the problem likely to be the latch (top bit inside boot lid) no.20
or
Striker plate with motor shown in photo no.23

Please see diagram
This looks like a broken spring in the lower part of the mechanism, but it can be anything else. Only way to fix it is to dig in and find what's wrong.

P.S. Your picture link was broken but fixed now .

Last edited by mishar; 03-29-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mishar was able to fix his broken spring by taking the unit apart. This might be a good start and if you determine you need a new unit you can always go to the dealer and pick one up, they are not that expensive. Dealer usually has them in stock.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the image.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The spring I was talking about is in that 23 part. Easy to fix if that is what is broken.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Mishar was able to fix his broken spring by taking the unit apart. This might be a good start and if you determine you need a new unit you can always go to the dealer and pick one up, they are not that expensive. Dealer usually has them in stock.
Or maybe Monday when someone from Audiusaparts.com gets to work they can get us a part # and price. Pretty sure I have the same problem as Misha had and I'd rather not disassemble it twice. It'd be nice not to do the triple trunk slam every time (although I usually get it right the first time because I consider the ambient temperature when deciding how hard to slam)

Good thread. (we really need a sticky with common problems to archive this same stuff that gets discussed every time a new member comes on -- oh wait, we don't need that, we have Misha Misha didn't you have a thread w/pics on how to fix it using the old (broken spring)?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it is a broken spring. ..

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Or maybe Monday when someone from Audiusaparts.com gets to work they can get us a part # and price. Pretty sure I have the same problem as Misha had and I'd rather not disassemble it twice. It'd be nice not to do the triple trunk slam every time (although I usually get it right the first time because I consider the ambient temperature when deciding how hard to slam)

Good thread. (we really need a sticky with common problems to archive this same stuff that gets discussed every time a new member comes on -- oh wait, we don't need that, we have Misha Misha didn't you have a thread w/pics on how to fix it using the old (broken spring)?
...you don't need to replace anything. Spring is broken at the very end. Just form a new hook and that's it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same boot lock problem?

Originally Posted by Brozee
I could manually move the lock mechanism with the trunk open but no matter how hard or how I shut the trunk the lock won't engage. It's currently sitting trunk unlocked unfortunately. I just want to make sure if I do the replacement of the lock as the OP said that it will in fact work and the lock will engage regardless of temperature.
Hey Brozee - my A8 D3 lock won't latch. Dead as a doornail. No motor sounds from using either the key fob or the lock button in the cabin. Was this what yours did and what was your fix? Kind regards, Jamie
Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Same issue

Yes that sounds familiar. Like the lock didn't even try to engage. Then when it warmed up it magically would work. I only had the issue in winter. After having it replaced it worked the whole winter not an issue.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lock Replacement