A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune2Air/Streaming Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Do these $80-90 bluetooth let you to control the phone or the songs

from the MMI screen? If not, just stick a $5 Audio bluetooth on the cigarette lighter and plug in you Auxiliary cable to the bluetooth, mount your phone on the dash and use siri to change songs.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModestW12
The WMA1000 is the one I have. So I can confirm it works well with OE AMI to iPod cable ....besides the occasional hiccup requiring a quick unplug if you don't have a music app queued up when it is initializing.
Im not sure why, but my last post didn't go through so here goes again I don't have an iPod cable from my AMI, i just have an AUX. I dont think that it is possible for me to control the phone through my MMI, since it is too old, so im not sure that we have the same version MMI/AMI. When I connect my Tune2Air, it doesn't even power on, but if i connect it to the 12v via a USB cable, it does, and my phone can connect to the Tune2Air. But the MMI still says "can't connect..." and doesn't recognize the Tune2air.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Please take the picture of your AMI... Aftermarket?

Originally Posted by MartinBDK
Im not sure why, but my last post didn't go through so here goes again I don't have an iPod cable from my AMI, i just have an AUX. I dont think that it is possible for me to control the phone through my MMI, since it is too old, so im not sure that we have the same version MMI/AMI. When I connect my Tune2Air, it doesn't even power on, but if i connect it to the 12v via a USB cable, it does, and my phone can connect to the Tune2Air. But the MMI still says "can't connect..." and doesn't recognize the Tune2air.
AUX is 3.5mm audio cable - NO WAY any software can control anything hooking up to it... You need all the communication data lines - Just buy the cheap dongle, hook it up or buy a different 30PIN connector cable to try with whatever you use to control. What's wrong with Voice command these days? Siri is so effective... "play the darn song" and she will play it.. LOL.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-04-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

AUX input is just that - input. It is one way, from the source device into the AMI unit. Can't control the phone with AUX.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MMI 2G vs 3G?

Originally Posted by blazej01
My wife has 2010 a8 and VMA3000 works no problem, but on my 08 s8 does not even power. I have no clue why is that. I think I might try vma1000 on my s8.
Might be due to the 2008 being the final year of MMI 2G. 2009-2010 A8s got the fancy MMI 3G.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same problem where the Tune2Air wouldn't power up, even sat with the Audi mechanic while he tried to get it to work for 30 minutes. With some research I found that the Aux wont power unless it sees an ipod connected. I went to A2DP4AUDI and talked to Rich, he steered me to the combo deal blue tooth adapter and the hardwire power kit. Took about 20 minutes to install, no cutting or complicated install. Works perfect, streams music from my android. You have to use the AMI cable that comes with the blue tooth adapter, don't use the factory Audi AMI cable it does not work with this kit.

Add Bluetooth A2DP Streaming to your Audi - A2DP4AUDI - Audi Bluetooth Adapters
Old 10-06-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on A2DP4AUDI in a MMI 2G vehicle. Works and sounds great in my 05. There is no +12v supplied by AMI when using an AUX cable, so you need to bring power to the music device by another means. I used the hardwire kit from A2DP4AUDI and tapped into a switched +12v line in the passenger side fuse box. It also requires a wiring change to the AUX cable, which I did myself, or you can buy the already-modified cable from them.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If anything cost more than $15 to stream music without

Originally Posted by 91quattro
+1 on A2DP4AUDI in a MMI 2G vehicle. Works and sounds great in my 05. There is no +12v supplied by AMI when using an AUX cable, so you need to bring power to the music device by another means. I used the hardwire kit from A2DP4AUDI and tapped into a switched +12v line in the passenger side fuse box. It also requires a wiring change to the AUX cable, which I did myself, or you can buy the already-modified cable from them.
any control from the MMI is a waste. Mine works perfect $5 for the Audio Bluetooth, $9 for the Ground loop noise and the streaming is pure music without any ground noise perfectly from anywhere in the car.
Forget the AMI.

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ooeddym
I had the same problem where the Tune2Air wouldn't power up, even sat with the Audi mechanic while he tried to get it to work for 30 minutes. With some research I found that the Aux wont power unless it sees an ipod connected. I went to A2DP4AUDI and talked to Rich, he steered me to the combo deal blue tooth adapter and the hardwire power kit. Took about 20 minutes to install, no cutting or complicated install. Works perfect, streams music from my android. You have to use the AMI cable that comes with the blue tooth adapter, don't use the factory Audi AMI cable it does not work with this kit.

Add Bluetooth A2DP Streaming to your Audi - A2DP4AUDI - Audi Bluetooth Adapters
That seems like the perfect solution for me also! Thanks, I will look into it, and get back here when i get it installed. Im from Denmark though, so it might be a while before i receive it in the mail
Old 10-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tapped into number 46 on the fuse panel and ran the wires behind the glove box. There is a pre cut hole in the back of the AMI insert module in the glove box that the USB power plug on the hardwire power kit will just fit through.

Last edited by ooeddym; 10-10-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Photo

Quick Reply: Tune2Air/Streaming Question