A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off warning sound - possible?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn off warning sound - possible?

Everytime the car warns me something is wrong it chimes pretty loud.

If it did it once per ride I would be ok, now something is wrong with the brakes, some sensor/computer. It warns just about every couple of minutes.

Is it possible to turn of the sound?

My mechanic is looking for a used ABS computer.

Added information.

Dear Audi World Forum, I am seeking your wisdom in order to sort a problem my Audi has.
My Audi is a 2003 4.2 Bought it in the south of Sweden.
Color: Black metallic - you should see it on a sunny day.
The trunkspace is listed as 500 l,

It has new Pirelli tires, I´m giving you the whole picture, for some this seems important. I bought these tires in Switzerland after a tire exploded in Germany doing 260 km/h. This was scary indeed, a nice German lad helped me put on the spare tire. I offered him money but he would not have it.
Back in Sweden one year later my car seems to have a problem with the brakes. Suddenly the Parking Brake light would appear, the ABS would stop working and the EPS would turn off. Also the speedometer wouldn´t work. The car drives just fine without the mentioned functions, I´ve lived for many years with cars that didn´t have these features, I would say this is totally irrelevant.

This is however something up for debate, I´m trying to have this fixed, the mechanic replaced a ABS-sensor on the left front tire. This did not solve the problem. This made my mechanic a little bit sad. When driving the parking break light comes on every few minutes, the light is ok, the Chime, the sound, the waves of energy through air, call it what you want, this energy annoys me.

This sound has annoyed me earlier, that time it was one sensor for the adaptive headlights. It was the range sensor, the warning sound was annoying me so bad. The very next day I was going to Italy in my car, the lights worked ok, sometimes they would wander up and down a little bit on the road.
I could not have it like this. The sound was driving me crazy. I drove to Audi and demanded they fix it, I was angry. I´ve owned atleast 10 cars, none of them annoyed me as much as this Audi when something was wrong. Now I know "When the car chimes at you, it means that something safety related is wrong. Just go get it fixed." my god why have I not come to the same conclusion.

My Chrysler Neon had such a nice sound when it was broken it almost made me happy. The Audi does not give me this pleasure.
Is there any way of muting this sound? Perhaps a setting in the MMI? Now I know this is not likely since the nice people of the thread did not mention that.

Thank you audijim113, today I talked to my mechanic and I´m going to send the module to the repair center you´ve recommended. For my road trip I will probably pull the fuses for the electronic brake. Thanks.

Last edited by NeonAudi; 09-18-2017 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
odiak (09-01-2019)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Its very easy to silence the warnings. Fix the problems that are causing them.....
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don´t know how it is where you live but here the mechanics are busy and it takes weeks for an appointment. Meanwhile I have to drive around all day long in a car that beeps for something totally irrelevant. And it keeps beeping like I somehow could have forgotten.
The following users liked this post:
odiak (09-01-2019)
Old 09-17-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When the car chimes at you, it means that something safety related is wrong. Just go get it fixed. But to answer your question, no there is no way to stop the car from chiming.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default simple fix for noise

Now that all the smart assess have "chimed in", you can stop the noise easily. I'm going to assume the warning is for your electronic parking brake. This will display in the center of the dash. I can't remember the symbol but it's like a brake with a lightening thing on it. Every time you stop and start up again over a few MPH, it beeps and the warning flashes. The problem is most likely the ABS module which is a electronic thing that attaches to the side of your ABS modulator. The modulator makes your brakes stutter when you slide on ice, etc.

You probably have other warnings too, including ABS and ESP and of course the red Brake light. In addition you may have loss of your speedometer or in time, you will. The warnings may not appear when you start your car cold but as the engine warms up they will pop up and/or chime.

The ABS module factory welds were ultrasonic welded and don't last in a hostile environment. What is hostile? Put you hand down there between the ABS module and the engine while it is running. You will not keep it there long and the exhaust manifold is damn close. When work on it, be sure your car is cool because it will burn your hand.

All of this said, who actually uses the parking brake (unless you live in San Francisco or on the side of a mountain). If you aren't driving in snow and ice (hopefully not for a few months), the ABS isn't a big deal same thing with ESP (electronic stability control.) Hey, we didn't have this fancy stuff 20 yrs ago and most of us didn't crash. As for the speedo, watch your RPMs and guestimate your speed.

Other than the annoyance, you can drive the car and be annoyed. However, in your trunk (behind right side removable cover) there is a fuse block. After taking the cover off, looking at the area, the fuse block will be forward and above the battery. The bottom two fuses are for you parking brake. Pull those two 30 amp fuses and it will disable the E-brake. you will still have the red BRAKE light, but the noise will be gone.

The permanent fix is the pull off the module (six screws that are very hard to reach, especially if you have big hands). Then you box it up and send to this guy: CHEAP Bosch 5.3 ABS REPAIR VW Passat Audi A4 A6 A8 S4 For about $125 he fixes the welds and sends it back to you. It is also possible to drive the car while you're waiting for the module to come back. I'm going to qualify this and it's possible the auto leveling air suspension also goes through this module)

Getting at the module is not easy. If you take it to a shop, they will want to disconnect the brake lines from you ABS modulator. This means the brakes have to be bled when reconnected. If a shop takes the modulator off, you will either have to leave it at the shop until the module returns or pay him twice to remove the modulator and replace and bleed brakes.

The technicalities: Among other signals that go through the module are your wheel speed sensors. The left front seems to be critical. Speed of the wheels is what the ABS senses to make the brakes stutter. Same thing with the ESP. The speed sensor obviously has a lot to do with your speedometer. I've seen people replace the wheel speed sensors or clean the sensing ring in the hub only to still have the problem.

It is not easy to get to the ABS module. You have to loosen the mounts on the modulator and sort off pull it upwards. The brake lines allow an inch or two of movement. I wouldn't recommend yanking them but you can pull gently. The six screws are torx (#20, I think) It's still a PITA

This is a very common problem on many Audis for many years.
The following 3 users liked this post by audijim113:
Earthman (03-29-2023), freeman1722 (05-17-2023), Karsten Stig (11-14-2020)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Default More info needed....

Originally Posted by NeonAudi
I don´t know how it is where you live but here the mechanics are busy and it takes weeks for an appointment. Meanwhile I have to drive around all day long in a car that beeps for something totally irrelevant. And it keeps beeping like I somehow could have forgotten.
Just saying you have a "totally irrelevant" warning that you just want us to help you shut off with literally zero effort to provide any further relevant info will solicit equally unhelpful answers.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Why be rude?

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Just saying you have a "totally irrelevant" warning that you just want us to help you shut off with literally zero effort to provide any further relevant info will solicit equally unhelpful answers.
Let me offer a suggestion to all the self-anointed expert advisers and perhaps grammar police. If someone asks a question and does it in such a way that is not up to your standards, why do you feel it is necessary to denigrate the person asking the question? Or is that just the nature of some smart asses on this forum?

If someone wanted a simple solution to a pimple on his butt and how to squeeze it, he not looking for a lecture in hygiene, etc. (yeah, gross analogy, but will get the point across).

My suggestion, if you don't have a suggestion, why be a smart ***? Unfortunately, that seems to be the nature of some people on this forum. As for this specific member's question, given the circumstances, his question was realistic. Oil pressure warning light? yes, turning off the indicator is not a reasonable solution. But the parking brake warning (assuming the brakes are locked up and smoking) that is not a life and death situation. I'm a hellofalot older than most people on this forum. Prior my current Audi which applies parking brakes automatically, I don't remember the last time I ever used the parking brake, but then I've never lived in San Francisco or on the side of a mountain.

If you'll read my response, pulling the fuses is indeed a realistic solution. No, it is not a permanent solution, but then I went on to describe what a likely fix.

Why offer a "unhelpful" answer or do some people get off on being smart asses? If you don't have anything helpful to add, why be an ***?
The following 2 users liked this post by audijim113:
Earthman (03-29-2023), Karsten Stig (11-14-2020)
Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Default Relax

Originally Posted by audijim113
Let me offer a suggestion to all the self-anointed expert advisers and perhaps grammar police. If someone asks a question and does it in such a way that is not up to your standards, why do you feel it is necessary to denigrate the person asking the question? Or is that just the nature of some smart asses on this forum?

If someone wanted a simple solution to a pimple on his butt and how to squeeze it, he not looking for a lecture in hygiene, etc. (yeah, gross analogy, but will get the point across).

My suggestion, if you don't have a suggestion, why be a smart ***? Unfortunately, that seems to be the nature of some people on this forum. As for this specific member's question, given the circumstances, his question was realistic. Oil pressure warning light? yes, turning off the indicator is not a reasonable solution. But the parking brake warning (assuming the brakes are locked up and smoking) that is not a life and death situation. I'm a hellofalot older than most people on this forum. Prior my current Audi which applies parking brakes automatically, I don't remember the last time I ever used the parking brake, but then I've never lived in San Francisco or on the side of a mountain.

If you'll read my response, pulling the fuses is indeed a realistic solution. No, it is not a permanent solution, but then I went on to describe what a likely fix.

Why offer a "unhelpful" answer or do some people get off on being smart asses? If you don't have anything helpful to add, why be an ***?
I'll let you take it from here. I've got an attempted forum shaming to respond to.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To be fair, I read this and was not sure of what the warning was. It might not be the parking brake. If he came on and said I have a parking brake warning light and I want to stop the noise whilst I'm waiting for it to be fixed.
I hope pulling the fuses helped and that the OP comes back and says thanks to you so we know that's what the actual problem was.
I'm sure most people on the forum are here to help others if they can but some are put off when the explanation is not thorough enough.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

audijim113
His analysis was spot on. Thank you very much, will see if my mechanic can remove the module and have it repaired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn off warning sound - possible?