A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off warning sound - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dcraig
You seem to know a lot about audis, so I wonder if you know how to turn off parking chimes? Drives me crazy ...
Find the parking sensor head unit and unplug the power going to it. I had the same complaint about my D2. After some digging, I found the head unit in the trunk and unplugged it. The unit was located driver's side, under the navigation unit, next to the amp. Took me about 30 minutes to take care of the issue.

Pro: No more annoying chimes when I start my car and back out.
Con: Parking sensor function completely disabled.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Find the parking sensor head unit and unplug the power going to it. I had the same complaint about my D2. After some digging, I found the head unit in the trunk and unplugged it. The unit was located driver's side, under the navigation unit, next to the amp. Took me about 30 minutes to take care of the issue.

Pro: No more annoying chimes when I start my car and back out.
Con: Parking sensor function completely disabled.

Good luck.
Thank you so much I will try that.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NeonAudi
The ABS control unit has been repaired. The car drives perfectly now. The transmission works perfectly which it didn´t before.

But! When I refill washer fluid it empties out far too soon. I´ve read somewhere it could be the seal on the windshield washer pump.

Is it difficult to replace?
Broken hoses/ hose interconnect couplings for the headlight washer system are typical causes as well. You have to figure out where the leak is by looking around with the lower cover removed.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Broken hoses/ hose interconnect couplings for the headlight washer system are typical causes as well. You have to figure out where the leak is by looking around with the lower cover removed.
+1
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Back axle behind the ears

I'd just like to say I use my parking brake quite a bit, mostly when stopping at traffic lights on gradients etc...
Knock it into N and stick the parking brake on seems a lot less hassle that putting it in park and I can't imagine it's ever too healthy to sit there in D with your foot on the brake for any period of time...
Not only that, you don't even have to release the parking brake, just knock it back into D and go, turns itself off soon as you touch the throttle...
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Location: Sofia, Bulgaria, EU, Earth, Milky Way galaxy, known universe..

Originally Posted by mixja23
I'd just like to say I use my parking brake quite a bit, mostly when stopping at traffic lights on gradients etc...
Knock it into N and stick the parking brake on seems a lot less hassle that putting it in park and I can't imagine it's ever too healthy to sit there in D with your foot on the brake for any period of time...
Not only that, you don't even have to release the parking brake, just knock it back into D and go, turns itself off soon as you touch the throttle...

This is not using, but abusing. You are abusing the transmission and the parking brake. What you are doing is wrong. Simple as that.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by AUDIMONSTERRR

This is not using, but abusing. You are abusing the transmission and the parking brake. What you are doing is wrong. Simple as that.
Care to explain why then please...???
Can't see it myself but I'm happy to be educated...
As I said, it's only on gradient, usually at lights etc, I'll just knock it into neutral and leave it till I'm ready to go...
The chances of getting hit up the **** here are quite high...!!
Hence leaving it in N and a massive gap between me and the car in front...
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeonAudi
The ABS control unit has been repaired. The car drives perfectly now. The transmission works perfectly which it didn´t before.

But! When I refill washer fluid it empties out far too soon. I´ve read somewhere it could be the seal on the windshield washer pump.

Is it difficult to replace?
Gents,
Just the thread I was looking for. My D3 has been stored for the last 16 months as I have been working away. I now have the exect same problem to a tee.

Where do I find the ABS control unit, left side or right and does it have ID numbers/wording to identify it.

Should have mentioned this is aROW car in Australia

Thanks in advance

Last edited by CrozA8; 03-17-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AUDIMONSTERRR

Still waiting for someone to explain this please...???
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mixja23
Still waiting for someone to explain this please...???
The transmission is specifically designed to be able to sit in D with your foot on the brake/parking brake applied. In fact it actually disengages itself (it opens the 1st gear clutch) for this very purpose. And the parking brake auto-disengages when you touch the throttle whilst you’re in D, as you know.

Constantly switching from drive, to neutral/park is causing excess wear and tear on the transmission internals due to the increased number of drive engagement/disengagement cycles (that little jolt you get when you slip into D) you’re forcing it through. Not to mention not providing as smooth a passenger experience as you could.

At best it’s poor technique/bad habit that serves no actual purpose. At worst, it’s dangerous as it will take you that much longer to react if you suddenly need to move very quickly out of the way; say for example if someone is about to rear end you.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 03-18-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Turn off warning sound - possible?