A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK: Looking To Buy TDI, Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
Does that mean i should get 3d views in my sat nav with my current sat nav software?

edit - do the 3 cds here look correct they are European cds for mmi 2g https://a6retrofit.com/blog/2014/02/...1-5570-5-5-70/
At your MMI version, I would have thought you've already got 3D views. Easily checked - with navigation selected, if you go in to 'Setup' there will be a 3D option in the View settings.

Yes; that's the 3CD set. As you're at 5140, the 5150 CD won't get much in the way of updates. MMI CDs are cumulative, so you can go straight to CD3 - 5570. [The 5150 CD is really for cars at really old levels as a pre-requisite for 5570]. CD2 is only for BlueTooth - the red screens will show you what level that ECU's at in your car and I can let you know what level you'll go to if you update with CD2].

Julian
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

There is an A8 owners group on facebook, someone on there told me the following cable will work in my car, do you agree, the ebay seller says it should and i can return it if not. Audi Part Number: 4F0 051 510 Q . When i search this part numer it says it fits the D4 A8 however im told it should work. I see a lot of people buying cables that dont work so i just want to check im ordering the right part.

http://r.ebay.com/usUjM5
Yes, it should work, the worse is to put a 2k ohm parallel with the existing 18.7k. I'm using the 3g cable for my q7
Cheers,
Louis
Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
At your MMI version, I would have thought you've already got 3D views. Easily checked - with navigation selected, if you go in to 'Setup' there will be a 3D option in the View settings.

Yes; that's the 3CD set. As you're at 5140, the 5150 CD won't get much in the way of updates. MMI CDs are cumulative, so you can go straight to CD3 - 5570. [The 5150 CD is really for cars at really old levels as a pre-requisite for 5570]. CD2 is only for BlueTooth - the red screens will show you what level that ECU's at in your car and I can let you know what level you'll go to if you update with CD2].

Julian
Cheers Julian i will check for the 3d views. I have bought blank cds and so i can do the MMI update. How long will the update process take, should i connect a charger or will it be quick enough that i can leave the engine running during the update.

I took pics of all the red screens for you, you can find them all here, they are all in order too.

https://postimg.org/gallery/msu9rx6c/

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Yes, it should work, the worse is to put a 2k ohm parallel with the existing 18.7k. I'm using the 3g cable for my q7
Cheers,
Louis
Thanks Louis. I found a genuine second hand cable for £8 delivered. I have a spare usb stick so im good to go. Does the MMI only play MP3 files or does it play Flac files too?

Last edited by revelator1969; 11-23-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cheers Julian i will check for the 3d views. I have bought blank cds and so i can do the MMI update. How long will the update process take, should i connect a charger or will it be quick enough that i can leave the engine running during the update.

I took pics of all the red screens for you, you can find them all here, they are all in order too.
You definitely have Navigation 3D view option as that came with MMI 3460.

Update process time varies based on changes but I would just run it with the engine on; in your case I suspect the updates will be done in 10-30 mins depending on whether or not you update the Bluetooth unit.

Thanks for the red screens; useful for my database aka Excel spreadsheet.

Summary of your car: As I expected with one of the last 2G cars, you have most firmware updates for your media devices. The only devices due an update from the 5570 CD are the HybridTV, Analog Tuner, MMI & BT phone. The AMI has already been updated to 0850! Note that you have the rare BTA Bluetooth unit which I believe was never available on US cars.

CD3 updates:
HybridTV will go from 440 to 470.
Tuner EU/US/RDW will go from 620 to 630.
MMI will go from 5140 to 5570.
CD2 update:
BTA will go from 960 to 1120.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 11-26-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

You definitely have Navigation 3D view option as that came with MMI 3460.

Update process time varies based on changes but I would just run it with the engine on; in your case I suspect the updates will be done in 10-30 mins depending on whether or not you update the Bluetooth unit.

Thanks for the red screens; useful for my database aka Excel spreadsheet.

Summary of your car: As I expected with late car you have most firmware updates for your media devices. The only devices due an update from the 5570 CD are the HybridTV, Analog Tuner, MMI & BT phone. The AMI has already been updated to 0850! Note that you have the rare BTA Bluetooth unit which I believe was never available on US cars.

CD3 updates:
HybridTV will go from 440 to 470.
Tuner EU/US/RDW will go from 620 to 630.
MMI will go from 5140 to 5570.
CD2 update:
BTA will go from 960 to 1120.

Julian
Thanks Julian. I found the setting for the 3d view and it looks much better now in 3d mode. I will do the updates soon for the MMI, i will just leave the engine running to ensure there is plenty of power.

Thanks for all the info on the updates, i will just run the cd2 and d3 and then ill be bang up to date. Ill let you know how i get on.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I cant get the USB cable to work, i bought this meant to be genuine cable off ebay http://r.ebay.com/gLxn8k 'Genuine Audi AMI MMI CABLE LEAD 4F0 051 510 Q'

I have not done the MMI updates yet but you have said my AMI was on the latest version anyway. I plugged in the cable, connected the 16gb memory stick, nothing recognised when selecting the AMI in the Media function of the MMI. The memory stick was formatted to 'FAT32' and i added only mp3 files. Any suggestions as to why it aint working?

Does the AMI support usb 2.0 or 3.0, the stick might be usb 2.0.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

It's not the usb drive, it's the cable, take the picture of the inner cable showing all the pins, I'll show you where to check. I bet pin 21-22 has 18.7k ohm. For mmi 2g to Work it must be 1.8k
Watch this video at 7:12 in
Cheers
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 11-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry Louis, your video explanation is a bit confusing for me [but fortunately I don't have an issue, as I'm using an original 2009 AMI cable with an 'old' otherwise unused iPod with the original 'big connector' with my 2G A8]

But I THINK you're saying that the 2G and 3G AMIs are different and need different resistance shunts in the AMI 'end' of the cable?

This being the case, this means there are logically two sets of cables; one for all the 2G connections and one for all the 3G connections. Which means all sorts of confusion for sellers who 'just sell cables', as they won't understand the confusing mess that is 'AMI compatability' for all the Audis that use it.

Mucking about with cables is messy; I too think the part number of the MY2009 2G AMI cable for USB is 4F0 051 510 Q ...

Julian

Edited Postscript:

1) I wasn't aware that AMI device support was added by the MMI but my AMI was already at 5570 when my AMI @850 was added. Perhaps it's worth updating the MMI to 5570 using CD3 and then retrying the cable in case USB support was added at 5570?
2) VCDS would tell you what type of cable was attached [or that no recognised cable was attached] by reading the AMI Measuring Block 17

Last edited by JulianHicks; 11-25-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Part number correction ...
Old 11-25-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
It's not the usb drive, it's the cable, take the picture of the inner cable showing all the pins, I'll show you where to check. I bet pin 21-22 has 18.7k ohm. For mmi 2g to Work it must be 1.8k
Watch this video at 7:12 in
https://youtu.be/RiO0dUB-rko
Cheers
Louis
Hi Louis, thanks for the link. Im at work just now which is noisy and so i could not hear the audio on your video. I asked you previously if you thought this cable would work, you said it should do and so i bought it. It is for the newer MMI 3G. It seems it does not work with the 2G.

Sorry Louis, your video explanation is a bit confusing for me [but fortunately I don't have an issue, as I'm using an original 2009 AMI cable with an 'old' otherwise unused iPod with the original 'big connector' with my 2G A8]

But I THINK you're saying that the 2G and 3G AMIs are different and need different resistance shunts in the AMI 'end' of the cable?

This being the case, this means there are logically two sets of cables; one for all the 2G connections and one for all the 3G connections. Which means all sorts of confusion for sellers who 'just sell cables', as they won't understand the confusing mess that is 'AMI compatability' for all the Audis that use it.

Mucking about with cables is messy; I too think the part number of the MY2009 2G AMI cable for USB is 4F0 051 510 Q ...

Julian
Julian cheers for the info once again. I searched the part number you gave an the same seller has that part number for sale too, fingers crossed i will be able to return it for a swap. It is confusing for everyone, as you say sellers are unlikely to know what cables do and do not work with the 2G and 3G MMI.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Julian cheers for the info once again. I searched the part number you gave an the same seller has that part number for sale too, fingers crossed i will be able to return it for a swap. It is confusing for everyone, as you say sellers are unlikely to know what cables do and do not work with the 2G and 3G MMI.
Note my edited postscript in the post you've already read.

But, BTW, I thought you'd acquired the Q version of the connector from what you said in an earlier post ...

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 11-25-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: UK: Looking To Buy TDI, Opinions Please