A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover gasket availablity

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Valve cover gasket availablity

I am trying to replace both of my valve cover gaskets on my 2007 A8L 4.2 and have been informed by my Audi dealer that the left side is not available by itself any longer; they are telling me that I have to purchase a new valve cover to get the gasket! Which cost around $700....Does anyone on here know if I can get just the valve cover gasket and what the part number is for a 4.2FSI? I can't believe that this is the case seeing that this engine was not only used in the A8, but other Audi vehicles as well. Or if there is a recommended aftermarket gasket I could go with? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Try ECS Tuning's site.

Also note that when parts are superseded, a lot of time the VW/Audi PDC sells the old stock to Auto Wares or Rock Auto. They then offer the original stuff at decent prices.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Mike, what you are describing is what happened with the D3 S8 for the early ones. The S8 covers are plastic with a paint job as I understand them, and apparently the early design warped. I haven't heard that was the case for the 4.2FSI, but I suppose it may be so there too. What folks were doing on the D3 S8 was buying the gasket for the other side and then modifying it to fit. There may be some posts or videos for that. Not sure of how 4.2 FSI gasket set up looks. On my C5 port 4.2, both sides were the same since all Audi did on those was flip the head for one side vs. the other and then swap the cam gear and timing adjustment stuff using already milled cut outs. Remember C6 A6 4.2 (2006 forward I think) is basically the same FSI motor so you could try listings or posts/videos for that since it was probably sold in more volume. Old Q7 4.2 I think too.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since this engine was used in several Audis, I cannot see why I have not located a valve cover gasket yet. Even if they changed the valve cover, how would the gasket change? It still has to bolt up to the head and those bolt holes can't change. I will have to take a closer look at them to see if the right will be able to flip around and fit on the left, I would hate to have the thing all apart without the proper gasket. Waiting to hear back from ECS because their site does list something about 2007 being a split year with this left gasket.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Since this engine was used in several Audis, I cannot see why I have not located a valve cover gasket yet. Even if they changed the valve cover, how would the gasket change? It still has to bolt up to the head and those bolt holes can't change. I will have to take a closer look at them to see if the right will be able to flip around and fit on the left, I would hate to have the thing all apart without the proper gasket. Waiting to hear back from ECS because their site does list something about 2007 being a split year with this left gasket.
Yeah but... If they changed the cover, the shape of the top edge of it could have changed completely--inset into a groove vs. flat, general diameter if round, and so on.

Meantime, looks like you do need your VIN. Two quick checks at some of my go to places for Audi's :

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...ket?s=d&page=1

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Audi...bcatID=1387718

Some of the history around this looks like it may be in the parts slide I pulled off one of the std. Euro ETKA sites. ##15 and 17 below:

Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find the right valve cover gasket? I'm running into the same issue. Lots of places list the old part number of 079103483R but when I order it, they send 079103483T which is for the updated valve cover. It is a Febi Bilstein part and their information says that the part numbers are interchangeable. Rock Auto also shows a part that says it fits up to a certain VIN, and also fits starting at the next VIN. So maybe it is possible they made a gasket that works for both the older and the newer valve cover?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks to MP, I found them at rmeuropean.com they had the older style gasket for the left side if you did not update your cover. I had them changed, but am still getting some oil in the plug wells so gonna take it apart again to see what the deal is. I had no luck finding the older gasket anywhere other than this site.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to MP, I found them at rmeuropean.com they had the older style gasket for the left side if you did not update your cover. I had them changed, but am still getting some oil in the plug wells so gonna take it apart again to see what the deal is. I had no luck finding the older gasket anywhere other than this site.
Did you get Febi Bilstein part #36264? I just called rmeuropean and that is what they show for the 079103483R. The trouble is that I have 3 of those sitting here right now and they have Audi # 079103483T, which should be for the updated valve cover. I am going to send a message to Febi to see if they can confirm that the gasket works for both valve covers. The alternative is to buy an updated valve cover. I wish I knew why they changed the valve cover. Maybe there is a good reason to get the newer one.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe that they change the valve cover due to warping, but unknown why it wasn't covered under a recall if it was such a big deal to even have Audi stop making the gasket for the original cover. This is what I ordered:
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...36-V13260.aspx