A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS asking for Password in Engine Module

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCDS asking for Password in Engine Module

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to alter the idle RPM from about 625 to maybe 725 through VAG COM but it indicates that I need a password to get into this function. Doers anyone know what it is? I have a noticeable vibration because of one of the various chains (timing?) being slightly slack (says my mechanic) and the higher idle speed seems to get rid of the problem.

Last edited by Tangirz; 04-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

I was going to look for the password, BUT after reading "Temporary fix I know, but I will be trading it in and the dealer can then deal with it at a fraction of the retail cost" in your comment, I will not be part of defrauding anyone..... Sorry, no help here.
Originally Posted by Tangirz
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to alter the idle RPM from about 625 to maybe 725 through VAG COM but it indicates that I need a password to get into this function. Doers anyone know what it is? I have a noticeable vibration because of one of the various chains (timing?) being slightly slack (says my mechanic) and the higher idle speed seems to get rid of the problem. Temporary fix I know, but I will be trading it in and the dealer can then deal with it at a fraction of the retail cost.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

First off, I have no idea if the chains are really the problem as my mechanic is guessing. Secondly, Whom am I defrauding? I'm raising the idle speed slightly to get rid of a slight vibration. The car has 190k on it and I will be lucky to get 8k on a trade. The real issue here is that you have no idea what the security code is. So please, either be helpful or don't give me your holier than thou attitude, I'm just trying to enjoy my ride.
p.s. it turned out to be 80% vibration caused by the flex pipes needing to be replaced, one was hanging by a thread.

Last edited by Tangirz; 04-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now you are double talking and back tracking changing your story, you never said anything about "guessing", read what you wrote, you clearly want the security code so you can raise the idle to hide the vibration for trade in, you would be defrauding the person or dealer you sell or trade it to, and what does mileage or what you get dollar wise by trade or sale have to do with hiding a fault known only to you, I have been on the other end of what you are trying to do, someone did the same thing to me on an old BMW 2002, he raised the idle to hide a mis-fire and shake in the engine, when I later checked the vehicle out and set the idle to the proper (lower) level, there was the mis-fire, it turned out to be a bad head, and as far as me knowing any codes, think what you want, I have done plenty on here over the years with codes with ECU's, KESSY module, seat module's, etc. or even the SKC I pulled with carprog and VAS5054, so before you state that I have no idea what the code is, know whom you are typing to, let's see if other's think I misread what your mission is.
First off, I have no idea if the chains are really the problem as my mechanic is guessing. Secondly, Whom am I defrauding? I'm raising the idle speed slightly to get rid of a slight vibration. The car had 190k on it and I will be lucky to get 8k on a trade. The real issue here is that you have no idea what the security code is. So please, either be helpful or don't give me your holier than thou attitude, I'm just trying to enjoy my ride.
p.s. it turned out to be 80% vibration caused by the flex pipes needing to be replaced, one was hanging by a thread.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think your edit speaks for itself..... now missing "Temporary fix I know, but I will be trading it in and the dealer can then deal with it at a fraction of the retail cost.".....

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to alter the idle RPM from about 625 to maybe 725 through VAG COM but it indicates that I need a password to get into this function. Doers anyone know what it is? I have a noticeable vibration because of one of the various chains (timing?) being slightly slack (says my mechanic) and the higher idle speed seems to get rid of the problem.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

What an arsebiscuit...I suppose I am happy in knowing that there is no way for him to get that password, it's unique to each car and Ingolstadt holds onto it with extreme prejudice.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
What an arsebiscuit...I suppose I am happy in knowing that there is no way for him to get that password, it's unique to each car and Ingolstadt holds onto it with extreme prejudice.
Thanks Jack, I clearly stated I was trading it in to a dealer. They will surely check the car over very thoroughly or send it to auction. At a value of 10k for a 120k (Canadian) car there will be expected bugs. I am not trading until summer so as I said just want to enjoy the car. The big thing with this guy is why comment in the first place?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
I think your edit speaks for itself..... now missing "Temporary fix I know, but I will be trading it in and the dealer can then deal with it at a fraction of the retail cost.".....

Really man!?! Time to see your therapist me thinks. Jack got you pegged right. Read indeed, question mark after timing chains, "says" my mechanic...like, he hasn't taken the engine apart so who knows. And I clearly state that the dealer will fix, not, trying to hide anything. Your a troll man!!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

WOW !!
Thanks for the laugh tangirz, you do realize Jack was talking about you when he stated "What an arsebiscuit...I suppose I am happy in knowing that there is no way for him to get that password" , stop trying to deny what you were up too....

Thanks Jack, I clearly stated I was trading it in to a dealer. They will surely check the car over very thoroughly or send it to auction. At a value of 10k for a 120k (Canadian) car there will be expected bugs. I am not trading until summer so as I said just want to enjoy the car. The big thing with this guy is why comment in the first place?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

There is no way to hide that problem, which is good, because it's an expensive fix. The timing chain guides issue is a likely cause, best bet is to either bite the bullet and fix it or know that it's going to hit you hard on trade in. At the end of the day, you'll pay for it no matter what, you might as well fix it and at least then you know it won't explode in the mean time, in which case you'll really be out of luck. Stop trying to pass your expenses off to someone else, it's a seriously dick move. I would never sell a car needing a pricey repair and hide it, even to a dealer. Because if I hide it successfully, the problem ends up having to be paid for by some other Joe, which is a morally bankrupt thing to do knowingly.