A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Sub-Menu in Hidden Menu

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Sub-Menu in Hidden Menu

Enabled hidden Menu in MMI (not sure why, as I toasted enough Windows O/S's in the 90's to know better)
Does anyone know how to access the "Vehicle" sub-menu? It seems to be locked where all others are accessible.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just write down what you have before you change anything. Change one thing at the time and go back if you are not happy with it. Don't touch Bootloader unless you are directly instructed to do that. Or just don't touch anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

P.S. Forgot the main question. Car menu is empty.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

What can you change in this hidden menus
Old 01-16-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Just write down what you have before you change anything. Change one thing at the time and go back if you are not happy with it. Don't touch Bootloader unless you are directly instructed to do that. Or just don't touch anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

P.S. Forgot the main question. Car menu is empty.
Understood!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Sorry, you don't have the necessary credentials. ;)

It's a secret, so only supposed Tech Gurus can send messages about it, in Pig Latin...

Actually, it kind of is a secret/pretty black box. First you have to enable it with VAG-COM/VCDS. Once you do so, you can use it for things like turning off TPMS and restoring the battery display if you lose it during an MMI update. Of course you can do that with VCDS too, so it is both circular that you need to enable it via VCDS but then does similar stuff sometimes.

Sometimes it is used as part of a further features tweak in later generations. For example, if you want Audi Drive Select on a later one (like my Q5, except as a Hybrid it will probably blow something up...) and didn't get it standard, you can enable it via the "Charisma" choice. I actually checked it on my W12, but it does nothing.

Below are some screen shots from just one area. There are lots of submenu's. The first four shots are scrolling down on what I recall are the choices for what shows up in the "Car" button menu of MMI. Many things are either in German or Audi speak or dumb Audi acronyms or "Hacker-ese" quasi gibberish, or a combo of several of them. Even for me, I'm not sure I even know what a good half of the line items are, or which do anything. The last screen shot gives you an idea of the more arcane stuff. I once studied the pull down menus under that and eventually started to deduce the codes/choices by looking at which settings were provided for different areas of MMI I know in general. It's been a while, but as another example of the kind of stuff in here, I think some of those (with the "v's") are the ways to gray out a Menu at given car speed defaults--or to leave it undefeated. In the earlier screens you will see two references to Battery or Batterie, which IIRC is for the battery display. Where it says Reifen (tires) is the TPMS defeat IIRC. Olstand would be oil level, but we don't have the right sensor for that in North America cars at least. You find it in D4's, our Q5, etc. Thus, some of these choices are hardware dependent regardless. In other cases, you have to do various coding tweaks alongside in VCDS, or at least that is what I have seen with the Q5/D4 era of this stuff.

Deeply buried are things that appear to be stuff like how fast the MMI screen pops up or goes down, the delays, etc. Never really had the urge to hack this stuff much, especially since a mistake on MMI that bricks it costs $2K if you get the controller from Audi, installed. Boot loader as Misha mentions is a sure fire way to brick it if you don't have "Art's" (of Engineering) background in the Palo Alto lab or Ingolstat.

Here's a site with more info/guesses that also shows you the depth of some of the menu trees: Audi Resource - Hidden Menu in Detail The site is also in the UK and the MMI reference they use would be the late Euro version. They also mention D3 3G instead of 2G, which we never got in North America and came only around the 2009 part of the near end of model era.
Attached Images      

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-16-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very informative, I doubt I'll be messing with it. Thanks for the info, and sorry Tangirz for the thread hijack
Old 01-16-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
Very informative, I doubt I'll be messing with it. Thanks for the info, and sorry Tangirz for the thread hijack
Not at all....the more the merrier!!