A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated Seat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ventilated Seat Issues

Two days ago my ventilated seat stopped turning on, I would twist the **** to the level I wanted and it would return to zero. First I thought I might complete a VCDS scan, to which I was surprised to find no DTCs in any relevant module. One thing I was surprised by is that VCDS doesn't have a seat specific module, unless it is handled by the seat memory module. With that diagnoses out the way, I proceeded with removing the back seat covers, to make sure the ventilation fan was plug in. Turns out it was and this video documents how it functions whenever I would go to selected the level I wanted, and it would go back to zero.

I finally figured out that the fan was just pressed and twisted into place so I removed it and hooked up 12 volts to the terminals, too which the fan did not respond to anything. This lead me to the conclusion that the fan is controlled by a fancy circuit board, most likely a MOSFET. It is clear something beyond the motor is faulty, thus I have decided to replace the whole fan, thankfully Ebay has a big supply surprisingly cheap. I decided to dig a little deeper and remove the fan and shaft from the motor windings, and was pleasantly surprised by this over engineered beauty. Lastly, I will also double check it is the motor giving the issue and not the A/C controls by swapping it with the passengers tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated, as this feature has it benefits during summers in the south.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That motor is not over engineered. It is a brushless DC motor. Be very thankful that it is a brushless motor. Else it would have failed roughly every year and would continue to do so every year until you got rid of the car. PC fans are brushless. That is why they last so long.