A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking inside car from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leaking inside car from engine bay

ok guys need major help. It rained like hell in NY last nite and by the end of the night the passenger front carpet was soaked. I checked all the door and window seals and the solar panel. everything was seal shut and there is no wear on the rubbers. I looked on the mound (just below the shifter basically) that separates the passanger and driver footwell and water was leaking from there. i can see the water trailing from the walls of the mound. after i cleaned it all up and took it for a test run i heard a ton of water swishing around behind the dashboard. I popped the hood and there was a pool of water in the area where the powersteering pump, washer fluid neck, brake fluid, pollen filter area. i got as much of the water out that i possibly can. this morning i was driving and i could see and here more water.

my question is: is there a drain plug somewhere there that the water usually flows out of? or does anyone have any solutions on how to stop this problem before serious damage happens b/c i know there are lots of computers under the carpet.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be at least one drain - usually they are in the form of a rubber sleeve with a crimped section at the bottom to stop air leakage the wrong way. These could be blocked with debris.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the plenum drains are plugged.

See the picture below for how to check them.
Basically remove the gasket (1), remove the covers (2 & 3), and check drains (A & B).

Also check your sunroof drains as described here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=10

And have a look at this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=sunroof+drain

The body drains exit via hoses in the wheel wells.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks

i figured it would be a drain plug issue but i felt around and didnt feel anything. idk why but my etka program stopped working so i couldnt research if there was drains. but like always you guys are great help. will check the drain plugs when i get home.

if they are plugged any advice on how to clear debris from them? "specialty/homemade" tool or just using my hand?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi suggests using a 2300mm speedo cable to clean the body drains from the bottoms, but a long flexible plastic stick of some sort should work.
Probably have to remove the wheel well liner to get to the rear ones.

The plenum drains I'd use a small round bottle brush and rinse with water to flush them out.

Cleaned my sunroof drains with my finger and then a pipe cleaner to be sure there wasn't buildup in the holes.

I'm probably over cautious but have it on my calendar to clean them every six months.
Have heard ugly stories about water under the carpet, and almost had a stroke when a Monster in the cup holder spilt a few drops onto my MMI controls.

Here's hoping you have a dry(er) A8 tonight!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Plunumn Drains

Make sure you get this taken care of (make sure it is done or next winter you may be very sad).

If it floods enough cost to fix is about $7K or so for the modules that will need replacing and the work that will need to be done to fix the problem.

You do not want this to happen to you.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It cost me €5k to get mine fixed. 1300 of that was labour alone. Both seats out, carpet out, dash out, phone module replaced, new mats then everything back in. Luckily this problem was present when I bought the car, so after some legal wrangling the dealer I got the car from paid. It's an all too common problem with the a8 as the pipes aren't on the to check list at the time of service. Always ask them to do it, and keep your sunroof and the grills below the windscreen clear of debris, especially leaves and pine needles.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Searching for something else I ran across this article which is a good reference:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is there a write up or how to available.. tried feeling around for the plugs based on the diagram posted but cant feel anything. is there a specific spot i should be feeling around by the pollen filter? also are the plugs plastic or rubber knowing this will help me figure out what texture to feel for.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to do it is with a gas compressor and some water filling the reservoir - if you have water inside you car that is your problem. In the diagram in the previous post by jakematic (thanks) it is valves A and B that are the clogged ones. You will get water on your legs during turns if these plenum valves are plugged. Unfortunately these cannot easily be seen or felt by hand. You have to probe around blindly. Bubbling compressed air is your best bet.

Follow the instructions in that web link also posted by jakematic - Just like Paul W describes in that article I used a flexible copper pipe attached to a gas compressor. If you probe around under that center cabin air filter housing and inject air while there is water there you will hear a whoosh and water will appear under the car with leaves, pine needles, debris, etc. Then fill it up again and repeat. I would then pull all your carpets and use a heating fan or dehumidifier for a few hours to get everything dry or it will stink and develop mold.

Let us know if this helped - important to do this ASAP!

Quick Reply: water leaking inside car from engine bay