A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking inside car from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Water on the driver side mat will kill your Bluetooth module. It is just under that mat.
Yea, good thing I have all weather floor mats!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

So where are the A/B drains? Under the large cabin filter? I vacuumed out this area (as best as I could.. lots of brake lines and other things in the way), should I pour water there to see if it pools up, and then fish around for the drain holes?

With my A4, I could just lift the car up and poke my fingers in the bottom of the drains under the car.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Used slightly different method

I bought a long power nozzle for my garden hose and blasted the area that was recommended in this thread. I then shop vacc'ed it out when it filled up with water. I did that twice and then the bird time the water started gushing out the bottom of the car. Thanks for all of the help! I had tried removing everything from the area, no go. Then I tried going from the bottom of the car with no luck. Finally this worked. I will do this every 6 mos now.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What could go wrong if you remove those plenum drains?

They are just 2 rubber drains that causes a lot of problems. If you remove them, then its just 2 big holes for water and debris to "escape" quick and easy.

I also had clogged drains and needed to remove all carpets to dry them up. I went under the car, used a long metal stick with a small brush in the end and remove ALOT of debris. The drains are bended so on my car there where ALOT of debris inside and in those bends.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it possible to clean these out with something like weedeater line? And fish the line through?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Is it possible to clean these out with something like weedeater line? And fish the line through?
i just went and did exactly this the other day. I used personal use home Depot string as well as commercial type. It bunched up and wouldn't go down the bend in the a pillar. We soon as it hit a turn it wouldn't go through.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used 3/16" wire rope aka steel cable after failing with weed trimmer line. It worked a treat. Speedo cable would also work well.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by daamerikandream1
is there a write up or how to available.. tried feeling around for the plugs based on the diagram posted but cant feel anything. is there a specific spot i should be feeling around by the pollen filter? also are the plugs plastic or rubber knowing this will help me figure out what texture to feel for.
Hi.I have the same problem(,and the previous owner did't tell me he have the same).So is make me a big problem,my car is stop working,no start no ignition nothing!!!I need to replace Kessy module (one guy programed for me the new one)is flodded,and didn't start a month i fix.but im lucky is everything is cost me $550(Kessy module,programing,clear all code with VCDS)and 1 month and a lot of search!BUT i didn't find the drain like you(car was fixed and the water still coming in cabin.....)i use spedoo cable.....i use copper tube 1/4"...not working..,I use 3/8" plastic tube.....every option i use compressed air!!!on 7 BAR!!I spend 5 hours to find and clean,not find and dont help.so I go to AAA certified mechanic,and he clean my plenum drain for $300.so i just recommend to u if u dont find solution go to a a mechanic,but u have to make a test when he done(many mechanic are lying and don't solve the problem)drop half gallon water to the windshield and look under the car!!GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just cleaned my plenum drains from the bottom of the car with long screw driver that I got from harbor freight about 24" long. You can see them on two sides of the transmission. For sun roof drains I have used 1/4" tubing that I use for aquarium filtration.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default another thing..

rince the tubes with a Polident solution of hot water along with your drill chucked up to whatever cable/wire/line turning slowly.

Nothing like minty fresh tubes.. pc

Quick Reply: water leaking inside car from engine bay