A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking inside car from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drain plug location

Originally Posted by blazej01
Just cleaned my plenum drains from the bottom of the car with long screw driver that I got from harbor freight about 24" long. You can see them on two sides of the transmission. For sun roof drains I have used 1/4" tubing that I use for aquarium filtration.
​​​​​​ can find plugs you are talking about . Did u take any pics . My car having the same issue I have to shop vac quick before my carpet get soaked
thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2019, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello. Can someone help me with cleaning rain water drains on Audi A8 D3 please? I am trying to find those holes under the hood and can not reach them with hand. Also I tried lifting the car and find them from under but with no success. I can not see those holes from under the car.

Sunroof drains are OK.

Does anyone have any experience with that problem?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny (NOT!), just suffered from the same problem last week! For me it resulted in a slightly damp floor mat on the front passenger floor.

I never really understood if there was one or two drains in the plenum (under the AC air intake). Images indicated two, cleaning procedures posted in this forum pointed towards one in the center. I tried the suggested method of filling up the area with 40 mm water and then blowing compressed air into the center where the supposed drain should be. Used a flexible copper tube (brake pipe) as suggested. I then vacuumed away all the water and debris, filled upp with water, blew air, vacuumed. Really rinse and repeat At one point the drain started working again and the plenum area drained itself within reasonable time and the water (and a lot of gunk) ended up under the car. Did a few more cycles with just water to ensure the drain was flushed.

Now I will check the plenum for water regularly.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Today I went through the hell!

I have dissembled windshield wipers, removed heating pump/valves, removed whole A/C things, even removed coolant reservoir (!!!), that's because there's no other way to remove windshield wipers mechanism and etc.

So, the conclusion is that everything was in vain.

All I had to do is: take a looong screwdriver and push it under the A/C "thing" and damage those holes until those rubber inserts fall down into those holes to the ground. As I have been confident that they are excessive barriers, I decided to get rid of them. This way you make those holes bigger and the problem of clogging is less possible. May be this process is more effective if you remove those heater valves/pumps or something like that (on the right side looking from the steering wheel), but in this case you will have to disconnect 6 rubber tubes and take out that thing that regulates heating of the A/C.

As a result, now there are bigger holes and I think that this kind of problem will never come back.

Thank you for your attention

P.S. Audi 2005 6.0 W12

Last edited by Amiko Tsanava; 06-18-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Has anyone tried adding drain cleaner after all the debris vacuuming instead of compressed air? Not everyone has a compressor
Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Has anyone tried adding drain cleaner after all the debris vacuuming instead of compressed air? Not everyone has a compressor

Drain cleaner is ok, but you need to get rid of all the debris under the box. Drain cleaner will clean the drain pipes themselves only, and in time the other debris in the area might clog them again. You cannot see what is underneath, so vacuuming/compressed air is the best solution. My advice for everyone is not to make compromise and to clean these drains and the whole area around them very good, because the possible problems are big, my car flooded because of clogged drains, it is not pretty.

Removing the rubber pipes may be the best solution, but you need to access them from underneath the car, i did not do this yet, maybe in future...

Last edited by Shkretoff; 06-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

...and what about sunroof drains problems? Does anyone have any experience of cleaning those 4 channels that drive water out of there to the under-wings?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sharing a video I created yesterday clearing drains under car.
The following users liked this post:
Chimney (12-15-2021)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Amiko Tsanava
...and what about sunroof drains problems? Does anyone have any experience of cleaning those 4 channels that drive water out of there to the under-wings?
Here's how I did mine

https://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/clea...ins-a8-d3.html
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-13-2021, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daamerikandream1
ok guys need major help. It rained like hell in NY last nite and by the end of the night the passenger front carpet was soaked. I checked all the door and window seals and the solar panel. everything was seal shut and there is no wear on the rubbers. I looked on the mound (just below the shifter basically) that separates the passanger and driver footwell and water was leaking from there. i can see the water trailing from the walls of the mound. after i cleaned it all up and took it for a test run i heard a ton of water swishing around behind the dashboard. I popped the hood and there was a pool of water in the area where the powersteering pump, washer fluid neck, brake fluid, pollen filter area. i got as much of the water out that i possibly can. this morning i was driving and i could see and here more water.

my question is: is there a drain plug somewhere there that the water usually flows out of? or does anyone have any solutions on how to stop this problem before serious damage happens b/c i know there are lots of computers under the carpet.

does anyone have pictures of A&B in the diagram? I can't seem to find them

Quick Reply: water leaking inside car from engine bay