A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water from roof drains flooded passenger floor. MMI dead since

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water from roof drains flooded passenger floor. MMI dead since

2004 Audi A8L with 120K miles, was working perfectly until the drains on the sunroof clogged and put 2 inches of water on the front passenger floor.
MMI screen is stuck in down position. No lights on MMI center console control. No buttons work. Took console apart and checked all switches and connections. I have a spare if needed but I assume programming would be needed.
I bypassed the CD, tuner and navigation with a fiber loop one at a time and nothing changed.
Have not tried to force the screen up but can see light from the screen inside. The gears were never a problem and never made any noises.
Checked fuses in both side panels and t he trunk.
I suspect the MMI Control Module, 4E0025729, or the Can Bus Gateway may have issues. Just guessing. Don't know if either require programming if changed.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.I can troubleshoot most electronics but I'm not too good with Audi systems. A step of two above me.
Used VCDS to check the Optical Bus Diagnostic and ran the Autoscan. Here are the results:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Optical Bus Diaganostic.doc (10.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: txt
VCDS May 3, 2019 2004 A8L.txt (29.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: doc
VCDS May 3, 2019 2004 A8L.doc (54.0 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by twooldr; 05-04-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding scan in different format
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Where is the path of the water ingress ? What work was done to address - what the glove box pulled? Work back from the obvious

(ie its not anything in the trunk or the CD)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The water has killed your MMI Control panel, and the power control module under the passenger side carpet.

MMI won’t work at all with a dead control panel, and one of the (many) functions of the power control module is to drive the MMI screen up/down motor.

You might be lucky and be able to dry them out and they’ll start working again. If not, then used units are cheap on eBay. Both basic DIY jobs.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I removed the water and used blow dryers to dry things out. Is there anything in the floor under the carpet I should check? Connectors or such? I assumed the water came in at the right front column by the front door. I cleared the drains with trimmer line. Never reoccurred. I can check the area below the wipers in the engine compartment tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you so much. That explains everything that is not working. I'll get into it and will give you updates.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can't locate any info on the location of the power control module under the carpeting on the passenger side. Any site I should go to?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by twooldr
I can't locate any info on the location of the power control module under the carpeting on the passenger side. Any site I should go to?
I do not know what Dave is talking about as far as the "power control module located under the passenger side carpet", the MMI control head is located behind the glove box, there have been cases where the roof leaked onto the center console and caused the shorting out of the MMI control head or the MMI buttons board itself, or both, the items under the carpet are on the driver side and consist of the KESSY module, and the BT/phone module depending on year.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Your scan will not open on my phone, but what is very odd is that the optical/electrical tests show all good, yet you say the buttons do not light up, but you can see the screen lit up in the closed position, if you have a spare button panel, replace it, it requires no programming, the MMI control head on the other hand is a 50/50 shot of needing component protection removed at the dealership at the cost of around $120, or some a online service that some on here have used.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

What's involved in getting to the control head behind the glovebox? I can't find it in Alldata.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

To get to the Control Head, remove the glovebox, it's right there, a little tricky to pull out but I've done it a few times.

Quick Reply: Water from roof drains flooded passenger floor. MMI dead since