A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water from roof drains flooded passenger floor. MMI dead since

Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding your clogged sunroof drains, others have suggested using weedwhacker line, I couldn't get the line farther than 4 or 5 inches and I was too lazy to take the wheel liners out and try from the bottom. I used.a tablespoon Liquid Plumber in each corner and 3 cups of warm-hot (not boiling) water in each of the four corners. Drains cleared!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dvs_dave, The power unit, 4E0907280A, for the MMI screen plus other stuff is under the carpeting on the passenger side like you said. The Telematic unit, 4E0035616, is under the carpet on the driver's side. Neither looked corroded but I ordered replacements for both since both may be fried. The scan showed "Centr. Electr. II" was no or low power. 280A is is II unit, J520. Will update when I get them replaced, one at a time, of course. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. That under carpet info is hard to find.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, the “Onboard power supply control unit 2 J520” (to give it its official name) is under the (LHD) passenger/right side footwell carpet. By virtue of its location, it’s much more susceptible to water damage.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

this is what under the carpet passenger side.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Yes, the “Onboard power supply control unit 2 J520” (to give it its official name) is under the (LHD) passenger/right side footwell carpet. By virtue of its location, it’s much more susceptible to water damage.
Thank you Dave and Louis for the info, mentally noted for future needs.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

GG,
Do you know or have any link to how to clear the roof drains? I can see the holes in the front, but how about the rear? Do I need to remove the liner from inside the car?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The new power supply on the passenger side flooring made the screen come up for 10 seconds with the radio on then close. An improvement for sure.
I then replaced the MMI controller keyboard and restarted it with the 3 button restart. Everything came back up. Screen opened and I could change language and the select radio channels. Switched to CD and played a CD. Have not re-scanned it yet but will Sunday. Driving to Seattle tomorrow. Will update later but so far so good. Thank you all for your help. To those that get the screen up for a short time then closes I would replace the MMI control console. Does not need any programming. Just need to do the reset. Glad I had spares to try out. First one did not do anything.
MMI center console now lights up and performs as expected. I replaced the telematic unit but that did not change anything, Have a spare if needed. Will update after the weekend trip.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Glad we could help you get it fixed. As you found out, the MMI coming to life and then quickly shutting off is classic failed/liquid damaged MMI controller board symptom.

For info, the OnStar/Telematic unit is not actually connected to the MMI system beyond a mute wire. It even has its own dedicated mic and loud speaker. This is because it was a safety device so has to remain fully functional off of its own internal battery without it having to rely on the vehicles media system for audio input/output.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm have the same issue for a while now. I got a replacement power control module that was also flooded and it needs CP removed 😢
Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah how did two oldr remove the CP?

I should have a new MMI Board and a used Cent Elec II module next week.
As discussed, I installed a used MMI keyboard - no change still dead, and mine was pristine condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water from roof drains flooded passenger floor. MMI dead since