A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Hello all,
I was not going to post any finds or solutions on this forum again due to many opinionated people, but I think this is the one that many A8 owners should know.

A8L Trunk Motor Fix - YouTube

Cheers,

Louis
  1. thanks for posting I like reading people’s problems and solutions but I’m not A DIYer except simple stuff. This site can be a little to snutty for me!! I don’t have a scan tool I don’t have a ... and god forbid if you ask something without searching it first!! Lmao
Old 03-02-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
  1. thanks for posting I like reading people’s problems and solutions but I’m not A DIYer except simple stuff. This site can be a little to snutty for me!! I don’t have a scan tool I don’t have a ... and god forbid if you ask something without searching it first!! Lmao
It's OK to read, this forum is for people who really like to DIY. I know most of people come here want to have a quick question answered and some of the people here don't like to answer, hence the "search for it". I know the feelings when you're in a bind, you need it fixed more than someone to tell you to search and read I hated to, that's why when I have a problem, I Google, and most of the time, it's there, if I asked and someone ask me to search, I'll go berserk. This forum search is good if you know how, may be I should make a video on how to search this forum for what you need.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-09-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, the spring stops helping the trunk lifting, found the video from the TuneTwin on Youtube, ordered the part# 4F5-827-249-B from Arlington Audi in Virginia, installed them with 1/8" x 5/16" rivets and it works without the spring. I did have to lubricate the hinges without adjust the hinges at all.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

For what it’s worth I think those spring plungers were just an early stop gap fix by Audi. My ‘04 already had them on when I bought it, many years ago now. The trunk motor still failed in the end due to the clutch wearing out, despite various what all turned out to be short term DIY fixes I tried.

The only fix that has consistently proven itself long term was replacing the trunk motor with the more powerful metal bodied “H” version.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

After many trials and errors with the motor, the magnetic clutch is not the problem, it's the initial spin after the clutch was engaged, also the dirty hinges and the battery voltage.
My motor is still the old one.
My shocks are the same old one.
I can still make the trunk to lift, hence it's not the motor or shocks.
If all the hinges are freely rotated without resistance and the battery is good 12.3+, with these buffers, the trunk will lift.
Again, the test I made should conclude that blaming the motor and shocks is not correct.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I admire your tenacity with this, but I can’t help but feel that you’re facing a foregone conclusion. Whatever the root causes are (there’s probably several), variations in the system over time due to normal wear and tear results in the motor not producing enough torque. The original spec actuator is clearly marginal in its performance, hence the reason not much is needed for the system to stop working. The metal body actuator provides a significant amount more torque, enough to overcome the motion resistance increases due to normal wear and tear. That’s why it keeps working.

I will bet you that this will be like your hvac experience. Doggedly pursuing anything and everything except what’s proven and you’re being advised to do my many others, only to eventually reluctantly sucede, and it miraculously fixing your long suffered problem for good in one go.

But hey, it’s your time and effort.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 09-10-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dave, everyone knows it's a marginal design. I was going to remove the motor if this one failed. It's not worth the time like you said. I always like to try new things to fix, when all fail then, goodbye. Then the motor is cold, it seems to fail more often then it's actuated a few times. This will be the last $46 for this project.
The hinges dried up and bad also since they're exposed to dirt and water.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-10-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

You should try installing a heater on the motor. Keep it warmed up.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you think about this?

Do you think this is motor issue or something else?

Motor can not move the lid by itself. It can move it only if I help with my hand. Besides that, it won't open more than half way. It stops for some reason I can't understand. And the same thing when closing. It won't close more than half way. It goes half way and returns back to open position by itself.

Last edited by Amiko Tsanava; 03-27-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Someone took the gears apart and didn't set it to fully open when putting it back together.
Use a big screw driver turn the gear to completely open before putting it back.

Quick Reply: Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....