A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird vent / blower issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird vent / blower issue(s)

When I over-ride the "AUTO" mode on the air conditioner and enable the two front vents (the option immediately down from the AUTO mode) at full power, I get a blow out of debris from trees. We all know that these cars like to collect tree droppings and whatnot inside the little area between the windshield and where the hood closes - the two areas where the hinges to the hood go, and are on the left and right of the center area where the cabin filter is located - but should it be blowing them out into the interior? This only happens when I move from auto to whichever vent mode enables those two front center ones, at power "12", and after it's ostensibly collected some tree debris for a while but I'm not entirely sure.

Any ideas here? I replaced the cabin filter about a month ago. Should I blow out and thoroughly vacuum those areas where that debris gathers and see if it happens again? How would these things be getting inside the vent system?

Another thing I notice is that after a high-pressure automated car wash, I can smell the fragrance of the wax really well despite all windows being up and the sun-roof being closed. It is especially strong if I have the blower going.

Is somehow things from the exterior getting into the vent system? Is anyone familiar with this happening or what is at play here?

Thanks

Naudi Guy
Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Three sets of drains to consider:

1. In the plenum area--mostly what you are discussing
2. Sunroof drains in the corners
3,. HVAC drains at the base of the heater box.

From your description, mostly sounds like #1, but a touch of #3 perhaps. The leaves should not have gotten from the plenum area to inside the HVAC box and then in the car unless someone blew them in there (or they fell in) with the HVAC filter dislodged or not there. What I do basically--with the HVAC filter and its cover in place of course--is remove the plenum plastic covers and then blow air from an air gun/compressor back and forth from each side of the car. Takes a good half dozen cycles from side to side of the car over about 10 minutes to get 98%+ of it out. If you think you may have a heater drain issue too, search for prior posts on it. They are under the carpet on the sides of the tranny tunnel. The ends of them are buried under the car and can get stuck shut. If leaves or other debris got in there, they may be clogging the drain outlets some at the base of the overall HVAC enclosure/box or in the drain tubing proper.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-04-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:52 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. The drain hose from the air filter (not the cabin, but the engine air filter) was COMPLETELY clogged up with "crunchy" debris like little leaves and such and we cleared that when we replaced both air filters, but I still saw lots of stuff down in that plenum area. I guess I'll get in there with an air gun and see what I can do.

Thanks