A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does THIS air suspension scenario suggest ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Whoa, Lou is spending more than is absolutely necessary! Mind: BLOWN!
-Tom
Tom has some time to write, things must be going well (hopeful)... That's a big "IF", if I have to let someone to work on my car, then I won't own it when the big job come. The keyword here is the original Shocks... The air bag is just an air bag, either it leaks, blows or air tight... Your ride is dependent solely on the electronic shocks. People are rolling the dice when buying Rebuilt or NEW aftermarket units - I don't think SACHS would sell the electronic shocks cheap for these people to sell shock + air bag for $400-$500 complete unit. That's just my logic. 90% of the problems I've seen up here with rebuilt strut replacements are workmanship, and may be operator errors. Audinut is smart, his car is flawless, it's worth it to replace with NEW OEM, less headache, especially he's not doing the work himself. If you don't do the work yourself, keep replacing defective aftermarket struts, the labor of R/R of struts will come to the same as if NEW OEM fitted- Yeah, the aftermarket struts are life time warranty, all they do is send you a rebuilt unit in stock with god know who shock it was... May be from one return to the other.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-22-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by amsnooze
well, i just installed Karlyn control arms from FCP Euro, sucks to know that they will fail so soon...
I hope you get lucky and they last... The rubber part, at least, of the Karlyn arms are made in the USA in NY - I even called the factory before I bought them...

~10 years ago when i sold industrial supplies we had a place where we took the big rubber "Contact wheels" from industrial sanding (grinding, really) machines to have the rubber replaced, for a 3"W X 28"D wheel it was about $110 FWIW... Anyway, I learned about the different hardnesses (durometer) and composition and had the wheels made to spec... That place also made replacement bushings for semi-trucks, but I think they are out of business, anyway Karlyn seemed pretty knowledgeable and so I tried... but they failed. Hope yours fare better, I'll be interested!

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
... Your ride is dependent solely on the electronic shocks. People are rolling the dice when buying Rebuilt or NEW aftermarket units - I don't think SACHS would sell the electronic shocks cheap for these people to sell shock + air bag for $400-$500 complete unit. That's just my logic. 90% of the problems I've seen up here with rebuilt strut replacements are workmanship, and may be operator errors....
I agree. Everyone I ever talked to at the place in Florida sounded as though they were EPICally stoned. And it took 5-6 calls to get anybody. now I see Arnottt AND RMT are BOTH in Fla, so I don't remember which it was! RMT, i'm thinking, but I'll double check.

Louis: Why the heck are you suddenly in all italics? Makes me feel rushed to read your posts!

-Tom
Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
I agree. Everyone I ever talked to at the place in Florida sounded as though they were EPICally stoned. And it took 5-6 calls to get anybody. now I see Arnottt AND RMT are BOTH in Fla, so I don't remember which it was! RMT, i'm thinking, but I'll double check.

Louis: Why the heck are you suddenly in all italics? Makes me feel rushed to read your posts!

-Tom
I will say that my experience of Arnott has been nothing but excellent in terms of service. And they seems to be very good on honoring their lifetime warranty when you but direct.