A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what have you used the 'hidden Green Menu' for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default what have you used the 'hidden Green Menu' for?

I am curious if there are any useful configurations to be done. I know people have the green menu enabled, but I have never read about what it is they want it for.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to hear myself. I haven't done anything to my MMI so far and I'm not sure what it can and can't do.

I'd love to have a tray table behind my passenger seat though. Guess where I got that idea!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I am curious if there are any useful configurations to be done. I know people have the green menu enabled, but I have never read about what it is they want it for.
I only use it to turn the cluster back on after the MMI update.
Never use it again,
Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-24-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Nothing really directly. I have used it a few times just to finalize some mod where the steps require you to go into it after VCDS related work to check a configuration box. On D4 I found you can use it to increase the B&O preamp levels, but those seem more throttled back at stock than on D3.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A bunch of small things can be modified and enabled - e.g. stuff your car doesn't support (Oil Level reporting, for instance) - but also there's a horrible trap waiting in there.

Someone reported their kid was pressing buttons, ended up in the menu, and clicked 'Start bootloader". This will stick until a bootloader CD is put in the changer and it loads. He was unable to do anything until he reinserted his CD player, inserted the 4610 update disc, and let it install.

If you don't need it and don't have any use for it, I'd disable it. I am going to after I restore everything from the MMI upgrade.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

'Modifications to the MMI' is just one of the functions of the 'hidden green screen' but I believe mods are more easily and safely done with VCDS if you've got it. There are also some dangerous areas here.

However, one function I've found occasionally useful is the navigation data that is available on the 'green screen'. The navbox generates all sorts of high resolution data, which it presents to the MMI. Some is ignored and not shown, other data is rounded.

Just select Navigation / GPS Daten on the green screen to see some key data that the MMI doesn't show.

I've found the following useful:

a) it displays an extremely accurate clock from the GPS satellites [albeit in UTC / GMT] but you just need to use your local offset.
b) it displays your road speed [albeit in knots - the unit of choice of boats and spaceships]. The displayed speed is actually tenths of a knot; that is, a speed of 432 is actually 43.2 knots. Multiply the knots value by 1.15 to get MPH to see how fast you're really going and how accurate your speed is indicated by the car.
c) It shows your reasonably accurate GPS determined 'actual' height above sea level - I think that the units are metres. Multiply metres by 3.28 to get the height in feet.

Julian
Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

PO had some work done and the Computer 2 MPG were not displaying. I was able to enable it.