A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the technical term for the air vaccum line that connects to the strut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:29 PM
OvO
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the technical term for the air vaccum line that connects to the strut?

The one on passanger side is a green one and the one on the drivers side is orange. Looking to order one and replace it as I accentently punctured one of these hoses but cannot find them online at all. Any help would appricated the front suspension won’t rise at all.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OvO
The one on passanger side is a green one and the one on the drivers side is orange. Looking to order one and replace it as I accentently punctured one of these hoses but cannot find them online at all. Any help would appricated the front suspension won’t rise at all.
Hello OvO,
It is not a vacuum line, it is a air pressure line, aka air tube, air pipe, etc.
You may be better off using a brass compression fitting if possible at the area you punctured, or check out the link for actual line set from Audi.

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sh...uct=5461315#28

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...yABEgLl0fD_BwE

Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 PM
OvO
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello OvO,
It is not a vacuum line, it is a air pressure line, aka air tube, air pipe, etc.
You may be better off using a brass compression fitting if possible at the area you punctured, or check out the link for actual line set from Audi.

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sh...uct=5461315#28

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...yABEgLl0fD_BwE

Thank you for the link and suggestion. Would a small puncture completely render the front suspension useless? I just changed my control arms and after jacking the car down I’m getting blinking suspension lights. The rear fills up perfectly while the front is completely down. I keep reading about sensors, are you or anyone else reading this familir with locations to them?

Apppriciate the reply sorry for the double dip on the question
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have VCDS? Verify the connections to the leveling sensors that are located on the front lower control arms and that the level sensor is still connected to the control arms.

Level sensors look like this: (borrowed from google)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OvO
Would a small puncture completely render the front suspension useless? I just changed my control arms and after jacking the car down I’m getting blinking suspension lights. The rear fills up perfectly while the front is completely down. I keep reading about sensors, are you or anyone else reading this familir with locations to them?

Apppriciate the reply sorry for the double dip on the question
Hello OvO,
Did you or did you not puncture the air line, if you did, why are you checking into level sensors, if you have a leak of course it will not lift up the area affected by the puncture, and it will also strain the compressor, fix the leak, then come back to update us, as far as the sensor arms, do a visual inspection to be sure that you reinstalled them.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cu52
Do you have VCDS? Verify the connections to the leveling sensors that are located on the front lower control arms and that the level sensor is still connected to the control arms.
Hello cu52,
If you are suggesting that OvO use the VCDS to check the electrical connection of said sensors, I would think that by the flashing suspension lights being illuminated on the dash, that the sensors are indeed connected electrically and showing the vehicle to be slow, so leaving the leak as the fault, or the sensor arms not reinstalled on the CA's or sensor end, depending on how OvO removed them in the first place.

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 05-02-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fix quote box
Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT;25311081]
Originally Posted by cu52

/QUOTE]

Hello cu52,
If you are suggesting that OvO use the VCDS to check the electrical connection of said sensors, I would think that by the flashing suspension lights being illuminated on the dash, that the sensors are indeed connected electrically and showing the vehicle to be slow, so leaving the leak as the fault, or the sensor arms not reinstalled on the CA's or sensor end, depending on how OvO removed them in the first place.
Giovanni: Yeah I was thinking that OvO could get into module 34 and first check for codes that could lead to a sensor or other problem as well as verify the sensors readings. From my allroad when I had a broken sensor I got the flashing light. I think the lights can be flashing for multiple issues.

OvO, as Giovanni said f there is a puncture or damaged line that is the first thing that needs to be fixed! If the air line is damaged check here in post #7 for interior/exterior line sizing to repair your damage allroad line sizing is the same as the A8. Also you should hear a lot of air escaping if it was punctured. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rmance-install
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM
OvO
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you both for the insight. It appears the puncture was way more than I expected. Honestly I thought at first even if there was tiny hole that it would be enough to raise it at least a little bit. Repaired the hole by cutting the piece out buying a larger tube and sealing the ends. For now it is working will monitor it for the time being. Appreciate the help. I'll have to order a ross tech as for now I have the basic handheld vcds which isn't as in-depth. Thank you gio and cu52 once more.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OvO
Repaired the hole by cutting the piece out buying a larger tube and sealing the ends. For now it is working will monitor it for the time being..
Hello OvO,
Please post a picture of your repair to show what you mean by "sealing the ends", if you did what I think you did, it is very unsafe, as you puncture is after the valve block that controls the pressure supply to each strut, if and when your repair fails it will allow the vehicle to drop to the ground at Highway speeds.....
Not good.
You should have use the brass Compression union as I suggested.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM
OvO
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello OvO,
Please post a picture of your repair to show what you mean by "sealing the ends", if you did what I think you did, it is very unsafe, as you puncture is after the valve block that controls the pressure supply to each strut, if and when your repair fails it will allow the vehicle to drop to the ground at Highway speeds.....
Not good.
You should have use the brass Compression union as I suggested.
You were absolutely correct. It lasted 20 miles before the pressure was lost. It was tight enough for the pump to keep it up until I got home but obviously not ideal as the pump was working hard. Will try to upload a pic of how big the piece that punctured is when I get home. I will look into the braas union. It’s unfamilar to me. Do you just stick each end of the tube in each side? How does it exactly work.

Quick Reply: What is the technical term for the air vaccum line that connects to the strut?