A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when decelerating using cruise control car pulls to left

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when decelerating using cruise control car pulls to left

Have 2006 Audi a8 d3 and today i had the car on cruise control and used it to slow the car down and it pulled to left when decelerating, when i brake normally this doesn't happen.

Any thoughts or tips to remedy this as no dash lights or faults appear.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does it do it when you're decelerating using just the transmission?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Not right. Try downshifting and report back on result.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

How sever it was? Did it happened more than once? Could it be just coincidence with some road imperfections?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was travelling at 65mph with cruise control on and using the cruise control lever to decelerate to 50mph as cars in front were at this speed approx. the car pulled to the left not suddenly but gradually over say 50-75m to the left side. I cancelled cruise control and holding the steering lightly to check for tracking problem, i braked using brake pedal and the car slowed down in a straight line with no deviation left or right. So I engaged the cruise control again on same straight piece of road and tried again it pulled to the left again using the cruise control lever to slow the car. Its not a major problem as i can use the foot brake to slow down and then re engage the cruise control, just feel it shouldn't happen though.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tried the following

Tried hard accelerating,hard braking( in both drive and neutral) without cruise control on and car accelerates and brakes in a straight line. It only happens when in cruise control and I hold the cruise control lever down to slow down eg from 60 to 50 mph it pulls to left and you can feel the car straightening up when u then turn it off after decelerating with cruise control. It kind of feels as if braking is only happening or happening more at front left wheel for some reason.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When you are using Cruise Control to decelerate it actually use ABS pump to brake. Same thing when you use Parking Brake while driving.

I would try braking with Parking Brake first. Be careful. If you hold the lever for just a bit longer it will engage brakes as hard as possible and stop. Don't go fast, be ready for the pool and watch for traffic behind you.

Than I would test ABS. On a dry road step hard on the brake so ABS has to kick in. I would expect that it won't work properly.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
When you are using Cruise Control to decelerate it actually use ABS pump to brake. Same thing when you use Parking Brake while driving.

I would try braking with Parking Brake first. Be careful. If you hold the lever for just a bit longer it will engage brakes as hard as possible and stop. Don't go fast, be ready for the pool and watch for traffic behind you.

Than I would test ABS. On a dry road step hard on the brake so ABS has to kick in. I would expect that it won't work properly.
I'll try that and get back to you, thanks all of you for taking time to reply!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar

On another note I recently had new left caliper fitted as it ceased!!! ? ??
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Andyamb5
On another note I recently had new left caliper fitted as it ceased!!! ? ??
To be exact rear left its was the parking brake wouldn't release as back left caliper had ceased maybe not set properly???

Quick Reply: when decelerating using cruise control car pulls to left