A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to pry for adjusting camber in the fronf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Where to pry for adjusting camber in the fronf?

finishing putting my engjne back in, trying to get it aligned with my hash marks...i cant find a suitable location, or any for that mayter where to stick a prybar into to shift the thing left/right! can anyone post a pic of where this location is? Audi manual says to go in that slot thats right infront of the rearward front lower control arm..that opening is as big as a little soxket extension...prybar wont fit
Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were you I would quit messing around and take it to a shop that has an alignment machine. There is no way to get 2 wheels aligned without it let alone 4 wheels.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I figured it out.
Richard,If i were to just "quit messing around: the car would be out 2-4 degrees of camber and the toe would be out to lunch. 50 miles to nearest alignment shop with soft tires...
Spend the time to match up the marks that were made prior to removal and the whole thing is as close as humanly possible prior to an alignment. At which point just a touch up is necessary.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
I figured it out.

Spend the time to match up the marks that were made prior to removal and the whole thing is as close as humanly possible prior to an alignment. At which point just a touch up is necessary.
I just had mine on the alignment rack yesterday after a front shock change and the rear was out of alignment. Camber was out. The alignment tech could see nothing worn so it is a bit of a mystery why the rear would be out or alignment.
With the alignment specs today, the range is typically something like .6 to 1.4 degrees. Aligning arbitrary marks gets it close enough to get it to a shop and that is it. There is nothing like a good alignment on an A8 or S8.

I am not sure what a touch up is. I have never seen a car that didn't need a full alignment after the subframe has been moved, alignment marks or not. My son has tried several times to align the marks and in every case the alignment was out - severely. Maybe you will get lucky.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I just had mine on the alignment rack yesterday after a front shock change and the rear was out of alignment. Camber was out. The alignment tech could see nothing worn so it is a bit of a mystery why the rear would be out or alignment.
With the alignment specs today, the range is typically something like .6 to 1.4 degrees. Aligning arbitrary marks gets it close enough to get it to a shop and that is it. There is nothing like a good alignment on an A8 or S8.

I am not sure what a touch up is. I have never seen a car that didn't need a full alignment after the subframe has been moved, alignment marks or not. My son has tried several times to align the marks and in every case the alignment was out - severely. Maybe you will get lucky.
I've just done exactly the same thing, I was absolutely baffled as well...!!
I had 4 wheel alignment no more than a month ago then I too had one front strut changed...
When I got back from having the new strut, the car was driving straight still but steering wheel was slightly off centre...
Took it back last night expecting a slight adjustment and man, the rear was proper all over the place, also the front corner with the new strut was a mile out too...!!
He was a good hour under there, I couldn't believe it....
They earned their $50, thats for sure, it's now perfect again...