A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise over 30 mph!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise over 30 mph!

I have a Audi A8 3.0 tdi Which is a 2005 spec the problem i have realised that that whenever i drive at a speed of 30 Mph or above i tend to always hear wind noise in the vehicle.I recently took my car to and Sutton Audi u.k They stated that the noise maybe be occuring from the tyres which i have neaver experienced before.It's Coming to a point that everytime i drive my car i have now got a bad habit of checking if the window are all shut properly.If anyone else has experienced this and has rectfied this problem i would be greatful to know how this has been solved?
(p.s This vehicle also has double glazing windows)

Regards,

Harj lall
Old 03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes tire noise is a possibility

That should be relatively easy to test. If it's the tires, you should hear a change in the noise when the road surface changes. So if you can find someplace where a road has been resufaced or new asphalt, the pitch and level of the noise should change at the road transistion.

I've found that as tires get older, they can become noisier. This may also be a factor too.

If it's really wind noise, a likely candidate is the side mirror. Back when I had an A6, it had a problem with wind noise from the mirror. Someone discovered that a small piece of tape near the front corner of the drivers window reduced it.

Any chance of the door seals getting a bit weathered and not sealing as well as they should?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Yes tire noise is a possibility

Thanks for the responce Plano.I have recently changed from 19'' Run Flat to 20'' 12 Spoke like yours i will try and change tyres to see if there any change in road noise.Audi has told me that the seals are fine.Thanks Again For all the help!

Harj
Old 03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe you are just excited about your car.

What does your diet consist of?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I thought door seals too - they can harden in winter and fail to fit 100%

Usually an application of Krytox (silicone) spray allows them to slide into a correct position when pinched together by shutting the door, and it often eliminates small creaks and groans too.

Which reminds me, I must get hold of a can or two and do the S8 and the allroad - one disadvantage of all those door seals is the creaking and 'rattling' noises when they dry out.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Steak and Ale pies + Bitters will do that (spent the last week in London) ;-)
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More info is always helpful

Well changing tires is a data point. If have that opportunity; do a test before the changes and then try to duplicate that test afterwards. Was there a difference? Yes, tires would be a likely source. No, then maybe something else.

Did you notice the wind noise when you first got the car? Or have you gradually noticed it getting worse? If it's gradual over a year or so of driving, I'd tend to suspect the tires.

The best thing you can do is do some testing. Is the sound different on different road surfaces? Does the sound change on windy days? Louder in one direction compared to another?

Having this type of information can help in diagnosing what you're experiencing.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Rest In Peace

"least week" - typo or didn't enjoy London much? ;-)
Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Maybe you are just excited about your car.

lol! Couple of pints of stella also a curry and a lovely A8 to go with it as a desert

Harj
Old 03-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Stella? My ears are burning!

Are you Belgian too by any chance?

Quick Reply: Wind noise over 30 mph!