A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Scratch

Old 03-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Scratch

Tinted windows awhile back here, noticed a scratch developing right away on the driver door...after awhile completely peeled through the tint there as you can see. The exact same spot on the passenger window has one going as well. Does anyone know what is in this spot that is causing this? I had this happen on another A8 I had a few years back but only one the driver window, not on both in the exact same spot, so its not just a rock or debris stuck in a spot causing it, has to be some plastic piece that is doing this.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Obviously something inside is hitting your window inside. Looks like exploratory surgery time. Both my 05 and 09 W12 have had windows tinted and never had that happened. I don't recall ever seeing that on another car here on the forum as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Over many years I got some fine scratches in mine, but usually I would only see them if sun was low coming in from that window and you were in the seat opposite from it.

The windows have seals on both the outside AND inside glass. I think the general scratching comes from there. Yours could have a piece of grit stuck in the inner seal area. With windows down, try to get in there with a rag. It's been a while, but I think you can get to the window facing edge by starting from back or front with a rag with some Windex on it, maybe (gently using a butter knife or screwdriver blade or some such to pull it along.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06 as well, no problems with my tint (so far). Weird that you'd have it on two cars.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Obviously something inside is hitting your window inside. Looks like exploratory surgery time. Both my 05 and 09 W12 have had windows tinted and never had that happened. I don't recall ever seeing that on another car here on the forum as well.
Unfortunately you will have to take apart door panel to see what's interfering with your window. There are guides in there that keep the window inline and it's most likely one of these guides that became worn down or you might have something wedged in there.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Unfortunately you will have to take apart door panel to see what's interfering with your window. There are guides in there that keep the window inline and it's most likely one of these guides that became worn down or you might have something wedged in there.
+1
Old 03-13-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The windows have seals on both the outside AND inside glass. I think the general scratching comes from there. Yours could have a piece of grit stuck in the inner seal area. With windows down, try to get in there with a rag.
I usually use a old credit card (in case it drops) to scrape the seal. If anything is stuck, it drops down in the door.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
I have an 06 as well, no problems with my tint (so far). Weird that you'd have it on two cars.
Exactly my thoughts when I rolled down the window and saw the scratch on the driver side in the EXACT same spot as the 2004 A8 I had 2 years ago....then it happened on the passenger side in the same exact spot. Bizarre...figured some on this forum would say "yeah, seen that in that spot...its this piece or that"..

If this wasnt such a fun car to drive...Id have run awhile ago from a number of problems this car has presented but I haven't given up the fight yet. This forum is incredibly helpful. I see all the new cars cruising around problem free and think "that'd be nice...why dont you just do that?" but then I realize I'd be driving a Mazda or a Chevy... lol
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default yeah, seen it in that spot

Originally Posted by iloveandhateaudis
Exactly my thoughts when I rolled down the window and saw the scratch on the driver side in the EXACT same spot as the 2004 A8 I had 2 years ago....then it happened on the passenger side in the same exact spot. Bizarre...figured some on this forum would say "yeah, seen that in that spot...its this piece or that"..

If this wasnt such a fun car to drive...Id have run awhile ago from a number of problems this car has presented but I haven't given up the fight yet. This forum is incredibly helpful. I see all the new cars cruising around problem free and think "that'd be nice...why dont you just do that?" but then I realize I'd be driving a Mazda or a Chevy... lol
on the car of a (non member) friend. He's very interested to know what you find when you remove the door panel ! Its obviously not debris....all the scratches are A) in the same spot and B) are uniformly a couple mm wide.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
on the car of a (non member) friend. He's very interested to know what you find when you remove the door panel ! Its obviously not debris....all the scratches are A) in the same spot and B) are uniformly a couple mm wide.
I will post back here with pics when I get to it. Have a few other more important mechanical issues to do first and will wait till the weather warms up a bit more to dig into the door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Tint Scratch