A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window winder dysfunction, window stuck half-down

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys.

Okay so assuming the glass is okay, I will need what parts - the window regulator, and anything else? There's the piece that's pushing against the glass but I'm not sure which part that is and whether or not it's part of the regulator.

So what I am able to tell is that the 'winding' mechanism that hooks up to the motor (on the side of the door right behind the panel, closest to the driver) is destroyed- this is what wasn't allowing the glass to go up and down- and also whatever it is that's pushing in on the glass. I'm hoping to order the parts before I take the rest out so I have everything handy. The exploded photo is helpful indeed but any other input would be good.

Also on that AudiUSAParts.com page I see there are Window Regulator for both "A8/S8 RIGHT", "A8/S8 LEFT", "LEFT" and "RIGHT" but the page says it is for the 2004 Audi A8 Quatro - so what's up with the A8/S8 right/left part?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you managed to get the glass removed then remove the mounting panel and you should be able to see what was sticking out and fouling the glass. Did some of the original regulator come loose from the panel and this caused the cables to get entangled?There are only three parts in total and if the glass is OK then you just need to get the other two which conveniently come together in one piece. Fit the replacement mounting panel/window regulator and attach your glass to the regulator through the two access holes in the mounting panel. Reattach the motor and cables, back on with the door card/trim and you're finished.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2010-0....c100508.m3226
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, I agree with dangerdred, just buy the ebay part, it will be a lot easier. Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM
The Transporter

Got a local car grave yard that specializes in import cars that is selling the piece without the panel (that panel probably is what costs that eBay part $38 to ship) for $109 after tax with a warranty on it and I can inspect it before hand here locally. I am going tomorrow to grab it. Looks like installing it shouldn't be too difficult but if the piece looks remotely damaged, I'm going to grab that piece off of eBay. Other than that it doesn't look like it's too difficult to install.

I've been driving around for over a week now without the door card in, and wow what a difference it makes. Plus I can't control my windows or mirrors ;D.

On that note, there is one slight concern - while removing the door card, there is this long (in relation to the rest of the pieces of the interior side of the door card) hollow tube piece of plastic that broke off of the card and had a bolt inside of it. I'm not sure what this part was or what it was for, I would assume as another piece to secure it to the door frame. I'll take a photo of it when I can and maybe someone can help me figure out what to do about it, if anything.

Regards
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM
The Transporter

So, I got it done - at least, I'm pretty sure I did it 100% properly as I am getting some air leakage but, at the moment, my door panel isn't 100% on the way as several clips broke off.

Here's a quick explanation that might help someone else in performing this.

I bought a full window regulator replacement; this included the new motor, the window regulator/winder, and the aluminum frame that goes inside the door (it rivet-mounts into this, so yes, you want the whole door piece itself). However the new regulator may not have the clips aligned with the two large holes in which you position the window clips to so that you can use a Torx T-30 to remove them. In this case, what I did was hookup the door card to the motor; this is a delicate balancing act and is very tough. To make it easier I mounted the regulator to the door frame partially and then put the door card (the interior trim piece with the controls) on a chair and then roll up the window mounts to that position where the mount and their screw holes are visible. I was ten able to mount the glass in properly, without removing any more of the door.

If you install a new motor (and thus, computer) it must be programmed with VCDS to the same settings as your previous window regulator motor. Go to computer module #42 I believe (driver door something-or-other) and then Coding, and copy those values. Install the new motor and input those values and save. There is no security code needed. The motor probably won't work unless the settings are valid and match the previous one.

Make sure you have new clips for the door card/trim ready! I didn't, and now am waiting on them via order. The clips are these: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-08029912.html ("2003-2010 Audi A8 Quattro Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer OEM").
Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 AM
The Transporter

Does anyone have the Audi part # for the part I linked in my previous post up above (the partsgeek .com link)? Something is jacked up at partsgeek and it's calculating like $18 shipping on 8 clips.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...clips&_sacat=0