A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wired FM Modulator Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:13 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wired FM Modulator Installation Questions

Has anyone installed a wired FM modulator into their A8? The way these work are that they plug the antenna wire in-line into the modulator device and then the other end out of the modulator plug into the antenna input of the radio. In this way, it allows it to provide 100% clear audio by providing the audio (via a 3.5mm aux jack) to the chosen frequency and has no noise as opposed to a low-powered, often 12V car socket powered FM transmitter that is subject to lots of noise depending on the station chosen to broadcast. They often need power to be provided as well.

Looking at the Bentley guide the only information I can find on the FM antenna is that there are four connectors going into the radio harness - the "Black 8-pin multi pin harness connector", the MOST-Bus, and two connections - a white and yellow (HF/IF) to "Antenna Amplifier R24". I don't see any single-jack connector like most FM modulators have plug-in to their device. Is there some kind of aggregator / adapter to connect these two cables in and output to one plug or is there something else I am missing; to say is there a single-jack antenna plug-in somewhere that goes to the radio where I can plug into the modulator? Also, for providing power, what would my options be? I am assuming I need to put this device in the left trunk liner where the navigation disc and the radio harness is located, correct?

Any input would be great. I am looking at this as it's a $50 device plus a $15 Bluetooth-to-3.5mm-aux device, $65 total, as an alternative to buying a $250 AMI plus $50 splitter to the MMI and accompanying Bluetooth device for the AMI. All I desire is for crystal-clear audio via Bluetooth and, as I am currently using a FM transmitter (albeit with plenty of noise/static because of the number of radio stations in the area), am happy simply tuning into a FM channel and using my phone or iPod mounted on my dash with voice controls to control it - along with hands-free bluetooth calling (maybe put a microphone paired with my phone on my drivers side visor?) without dropping all the $$ for the AMI + splitter + bluetooth adapter.

Thank you!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the antenna is Fakra connector. All antenna connectors should be coax. There are 2 on the FM module, I don't know which one is the real one.

Cheers,
Louis