A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow and Green Adaptive Suspension Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow and Green Adaptive Suspension Lights

I have a 2005 A8L 4.2 with 19" wheel option. The car has 124,000 miles. In a recent road trip while running in Dynamic suspension mode, first the yellow warning/indicator associated with the "jacking mode" illuminated and it has remained illuminated steadily whenever the engine is running. I understand that this is an indication of system fault.

After about 100 miles of the illumination of this yellow light for the first time, the green light with the single down arrow was illuminated steadily and it too has remained illuminated anytime the engine is running.

I did take the car to an Audi dealer while on the road but they were too busy to run diagnostics. The shop manager did say that, since the rear suspension was in the correct position as it would be for running at speed in Dynamic mode, that the pump was working. He could not or would not make further comments on possible problems.

On the MMI display screen for selecting the four modes of the Adaptive Air Suspension, only the Automatic and Standard settings are available but selecting these has no effect on the suspension.

Will disconnecting the battery possibly reset the system and perhaps restore the functioning of the adaptive system?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should perform VCDS (VAS) scan first.

Until that, do you hear compressor? It is in front of left front wheel. Is your suspension extremely stiff?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
You should perform VCDS (VAS) scan first.

Until that, do you hear compressor? It is in front of left front wheel. Is your suspension extremely stiff?
Hi - Thanks for the response.

The suspension is extremely stiff but not more than I have experienced when driven in Dynamic mode above 80 or so - just have not experienced the stiffness at low speeds. In fact, I usually do not use Dynamic on the road between Chattanooga TN and Houston TX because of the chassis stiffness. The front suspension is lowered evenly. I believe the compressor is running but I will check this in the morning. I remember that the Audi shop manager in Alabama said that position of the suspension was the default when the computer detected a fault in the system. Seems odd that the system would default in the position of extreme lowering of the front suspension.

I am back in Chattanooga at present and can take the car to Audi for the scan - would like to get a second opinion. There are a few non-Audi shops that may be able to do the VCDS (VAS) scan.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just to be sure that I understand you: front end is noticeably lower than the rear?

Your car is in the limp mode. That can be caused by various faults, but it would be indicated by an additional warning lite. ESP or ABS for example. If nothing is on it looks like compressor.

Do that scan. You actually do not have a first opinion before that. Some guys verdict from the top of his mind shouldn't be considered as one.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
Just to be sure that I understand you: front end is noticeably lower than the rear?

Your car is in the limp mode. That can be caused by various faults, but it would be indicated by an additional warning lite. ESP or ABS for example. If nothing is on it looks like compressor.

Do that scan. You actually do not have a first opinion before that. Some guys verdict from the top of his mind shouldn't be considered as one.
Hi again:

Yes, the front end is noticeably lower than the rear - almost in an extremely raked mode.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rcrick@me.com
Hi again:

Yes, the front end is noticeably lower than the rear - almost in an extremely raked mode.

Thanks
There are no other warning lights showing other that the yellow and green adaptive suspension lights.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default my car developed the same condition today...

Originally Posted by rcrick@me.com
There are no other warning lights showing other that the yellow and green adaptive suspension lights.
and then the lights started flashing. So the car gets the soapy-water-test tomorrow to determine where the leak is, although I suspect the RF because its lower.

My question for anyone with experience in this realm is this : is there any argument (read gain/benefit) to be made for replacing both sides ? Or the obverse...any downside to NOT replacing both at once ?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Replacing both at once is right thing to do, but it is close to $4000 OEM. If you are going for repaired one there is no sense in changing both since the shock absorber is old anyways.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2004 Audi A8 with the same condition: too high in the back and too low in the front. First the right forward strut seemed like it wasn't working. Then the whole car sat low. I changed out the relay to the compressor, and now the back sits up high and the front still remains low. When it's cold, the left side will raise, but the right side remains low. Any information helps, Thanks in advanced. I've learned so much just from reading posts on this site.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks like air leak, but you should start with VCDS scan.

Quick Reply: Yellow and Green Adaptive Suspension Lights