A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Buying Advice/Opinion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet Another Buying Advice/Opinion Thread

Greetings. With apologies for the repetitive nature of this thread - and, yes, I did search and leaf through a number of previously posted threads - but I have a bit of a conundrum. Practically without warning I came across a 2007 S8 V10 on Bring A Trailer (with 62k) and I said to myself, “yes, that would be a splendid car to have”. 1) Having had a 2004 A8L which I purchased from a friend in 2005 with 42k on the odo and which provided me with another 130k fairly care-free miles, yes, I know how the gremlins start to surface and any repair - assuming I even made them (some non-essential items I left alone) - is costly. I sold that car last year to a friend of a friend. So I come across this car on BaT and I didn’t buy it (it sold for $22,500 which included buyers premium). It just didn’t feel right; plus it didn’t have the carbon fiber interior which I would prefer.

Lo and behold I am now confronted with a 2009 S8 V10 with the carbon fiber interior and with about 95k on the odo. I am waiting to see the service records - my understanding is it’s a 2-owner car and all the service has been done, including 95k, at an Audi dealer - and the price is about $18k.

How crazy am I?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, I dont know if buying that specific S8 is crazy, because I dont know the car. But, FWIW the price doesnt seem crazy...I just looked at all the recent 2009 S8 sales in the Manheim system and there was one in Dec with 90K miles (and only graded 3.7 out of 5, so not primo by any means) and it sold wholesale for $16.3

So the dealer that has the S8 you are looking at is asking a very reasonable mark-up from what he probably paid; especially if the car is primo and has good service history. I hope that info helps.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much. It’s more an impulse - lustful - buy than anything else (but that’s not going to be news to most anyone here). 1) I don’t “need” this or any car; there again, “need” versus “want” not a new concept here and 2) Believe me when I say I know the gremlins any of these, or similar, cars can have. My 2004 A8L was pretty fantastic and relatively care-free [care-free not the best term to use] but I quickly learned that it might take a NASA engineer to work on it plus high costs to maintain. Still, in balance, it was a fabulous car. My wife’s 2006 BMW 325 XI wagon - a 6-speed no less - bought new has 227,000 miles and runs like it did the day we bought it. And because it was the first completely redesigned model year, still looks fabulous. IMO I still love the looks of this 2007-2009 A8/S8 series. I’ll let you know....
Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Greetings. I just thought I should chime in here and provide the quickest of updates now that I’ve owned this car - yes, I did buy it (and have $23,500* into it which, of course, includes the price of the car, shipping and various things I had done to it) - for about 5 months.

I’ll start off by saying this has been, is, possibly my favorite car I have ever owned. I’ve communicated several times with our very own ScottCNelson and he knows 1) who owned it before me and 2) the immaculate condition that it’s in (and with 97,000+ on the clock now; my adding about 3,000-4,000 more than when I purchased it). Frankly I am astonished the condition the car is in - anyone and everyone who sees it remarks that it looks brand new - which is testament to the care given to it from the previous owner.

One of only 227 S8’s made for the US in 2009 - 1 of 63 in Daytona Gray Pearl and 1 of 4 with the light gray interior (and carbon fiber trim) - and I’ve already been offered $28,000 to which I say, thank you but no thank you.

Simply an incredible car. But I don’t have to tell many of you that.

Best regards,
RJ52

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-30-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: *I totaled my costs up and removed the stupid sales and excise tax from the previously stated cost
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I do indeed know the provenance of this fly hoop-tie. Its original owner was capable of and willing to spare no expense in keeping it up to the tune of tens of thousands of shekels. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say there is probably no better example of a D3 S8 out there save one in an AUDI museum or maybe one that was bought and parked.

Sweet ride, Ricky!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
I do indeed know the provenance of this fly hoop-tie. Its original owner was capable of and willing to spare no expense in keeping it up to the tune of tens of thousands of shekels. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say there is probably no better example of a D3 S8 out there save one in an AUDI museum or maybe one that was bought and parked.

Sweet ride, Ricky!
Thank you very much Scott, and for all your valuable input over the months.

So I haven’t sorted out one or two, what I consider minor, issues. The keyless entry still doesn’t work nor have I had it in to be fixed and the trunk won’t open totally on it’s own (pity me for having to gently coax it to get started) although the button to close it does work; that right-side tweeter issue resolved itself beautifully after hooking the car up with my Ross-Tech VCDS.

All in all however, yes, I definitely think my (any) S8 is that rare unicorn.

Cheers!