A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 S8 Immediate stall on startup. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh my. Watch it be something ridiculous. Failed PFM modulator or the like.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my fingers crossed that they will sort it out this time. Considering that now they have replicated it on their own and it is the FOURTH time that they have had it in the past month for this issue.

However, if they do not get it fixed this time what options do you think I might have. Again it is a CPO car purchased less than 6 months ago and is still within the original warranty period.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the lemon laws in your state. Since it's still under warranty, you may have recourse.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack88
Check the lemon laws in your state. Since it's still under warranty, you may have recourse.
This.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

On lemon law theories sure, but... Remember back to start of thread it is a "used" car, not a new one. CPO. Less likely to find state laws on used. More likely perhaps if it doesn't resolve is Audi USA might entertain a goodwill buyback and put OP in some other similar CPO.

For OP, hopefully repair sticks this time. If not, the usual path that seems productive is: Get to service manager obviously. After that via Audi USA get to whoever the regional type troubleshooter/manager is. Actually, the dealer service manager should know to take that step internally. Typically they need the sign off anyway for big bucks jobs like the wiring harness contamination, internal engine work, etc.

In each case, focus on the car issue rather than lots of he said, she said dissatisfied history stuff. There are Audi USA people behind the scenes on the repair side who do own more difficult issues, especially on any still current model and even more so on the premium ones. The regional guys will know more of the corner and unusual cases, know the range of TSBs, and also get in touch with Germany when needed. Meantime the lower volume the dealership, the less they will see the premium cars and lower volume most modern motors. Having owned the ultra low volume W12 as well as the Q5 Hybrid (also lower volume than S8 and certainly 4.0T), even the pretty busy dealer I use uses these steps and they get to the bottom of whatever the hard issue is.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-12-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my daily driver (I don't have one anymore, I bike to work! Yay!) was unreliable, it would be out the door, THAT day.

It's likely something strange and obviously rare happening to the OP's car, but I'd trade it in and try for the most I could to get in return for it.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ravill
If my daily driver (I don't have one anymore, I bike to work! Yay!) was unreliable, it would be out the door, THAT day.

It's likely something strange and obviously rare happening to the OP's car, but I'd trade it in and try for the most I could to get in return for it.
I just traded my equally unreliable 2011 A8L 4.2 for this S8 less than 5 months ago. I was hoping the newer car would be more reliable. And, sadly, until this stalling problem came up the S8 WAS more reliable.

While the '11 A8L had many issues (suspension, MMI, ACC, LKAS) it always started and ran.... Always.

Last edited by motegi; 07-12-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Huh. My 2011 was rock solid until I sold it at 72,000 miles. Bad luck?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Huh. My 2011 was rock solid until I sold it at 72,000 miles. Bad luck?
That's what I thought. The service advisors were constantly surprised with how many problems my '11 had. The car was at the dealer for at least 30% of the time that I owned it... Some months even crept over 50%! They told me that they'd never seen an A8L with so many different issues. From a failure of the air suspension compressor to worn out control arm links to defective MMI cable and CPU. Heck, even the sunglasses holder and center armrest hinge needed to be replaced. There was always something failing. All were covered under warranty, thankfully.

The service advisors said they typically only see an A8 owner once or twice a year for oil changes and routine service. But, in my case, it was like I had signed up for a continuous test drive of various Audi loaner cars. From the A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8 to the Q5 and Q7 I had each of them for days if not weeks at a time. I even got rear ended in one of the loaner A6s on the way to work. I guess I should've been thankful I wasn't in my A8L at the time!

So when I finally decided to get something else, I took the service advisers at their word and was further encouraged by the high reliability marks given to Audi by Consumer Reports for 2016. I chose to move up to one of my bucket list cars with the S8.

Also before anybody assumes that I'm some sort of automotive hypochondriac, I still have a '00 Acura NSX and an MDX that have been faultless from the day that I bought each of them. Also I had an RL SH-AWD for many years (before the '11 A8L) that only began to develop mechanical/electrical issues after the wife crashed it and went to the body shop. So I got rid of the RL and the wife shortly thereafter! In retrospect, even after the accident, the RL was more reliable than my '11 A8L ever was. So the logical answer might be, why not go back to Acura? Honestly, I just don't like any of the sedans that Acura is making right now.

Like I said, if not for the stalling issue this S8 had been more reliable than my old A8L. I just hope it can be fixed.

Last edited by motegi; 07-12-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bad tank of gas (water in fuel)?

Quick Reply: '13 S8 Immediate stall on startup. Ideas?