A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 A8 D4 Chronic Brake Nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 15 A8 D4 Chronic Brake Nightmares

Hello, need a little advice concerning a 2015 Audi A8, 3.0gas v6 supercharged.
A little history with the car I’m the third owner purchase the car with 34,200k miles @ $ 41k with Audi warranty still intact till 50kmiles, from a non-Audi dealership. Car was a Factory buyback due to brake concerns from 1st & 2nd owner (rotors/pads). Upon purchasing the car, the dealer replaced the front rotor /pads, rear pads (rear rotors were in tolerance) @ 34,200k miles. With OEM parts.
Mileage below is from previous owners (Corporate/ Lease)when rotors/ pads was replaced.
7800 miles
16900 miles
24000 miles
28000 miles
@34,200 miles (MY Purchased)and now I just went out of warranty, current mileage is @ 50200k miles. And the front rotors are warped again. It really become a problem with speed over 50-85 mph then trying to brake you can feel it in the brake pedal. Also, the driver rear hub bearing was replaced under the warranty @ 42,000k miles.
So, I go to Audi dealership 8 May 2017 turn the car over to service rep. after a couple hours later dude come out and mention that all 4 corners are warped use a dial indicator to check the run out of the rotors. So, I get a quote for $ 2400.00 to replace all 4 corners. I already knew about the front brakes, so now I’m feeling some type of way, and then he mentions that because it was a buyback that Audi washed their hands with the brake piece, he also goes to mention that my problem maybe my wheel hub assembly is bad recommended I should do a run out measure with a dial indicator which was close to $ 500.00 for the test and then if they need to be replace then it would cost about $ 4100.00.
So now I can feel my heart racing like what did I get myself into. So, I didn’t get no repairs done. Bottom line I took my car back. And on the 80 miles drive home I was I was so upset and confused about what just happen to me. So, I decided to fix it myself, I found some rotors on line but there are conflicting information concerning the rotors sizes.
This is what on the car now VIN# WAUJGAFD1FN012926
Sizes are: FRONT rotors 380.36mm =14.97in
REAR rotors 356.22mm=14.02in
But online it shows that the v8 front rotor sizes is 380.36mm NOT V6.
Once I figure out which rotor size I need then it the wheelhub assembly is needed.
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to purchase the right rotors and pads & Wheel hub assembly beside going back to the dealership. Any help is very appreciative. I’m located in the Nashville area.

This maybe my first and last A8. What a lesson learned. SMH….

Thanks, you

Last edited by 09S5; 05-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 09S5
Hello, need a little advice concerning a 2015 Audi A8, 3.0gas v6 supercharged.
A little history with the car I’m the third owner purchase the car with 34,200k miles @ $ 41k with Audi warranty still intact till 50kmiles, from a non-Audi dealership. Car was a Factory buyback due to brake concerns from 1st & 2nd owner (rotors/pads). Upon purchasing the car, the dealer replaced the front rotor /pads, rear pads (rear rotors were in tolerance) @ 34,200k miles. With OEM parts.
Mileage below is from previous owners (Corporate/ Lease)when rotors/ pads was replaced.
7800 miles
16900 miles
24000 miles
28000 miles
@34,200 miles (MY Purchased)and now I just went out of warranty, current mileage is @ 50200k miles. And the front rotors are warped again. It really become a problem with speed over 50-85 mph then trying to brake you can feel it in the brake pedal. Also, the driver rear hub bearing was replaced under the warranty @ 42,000k miles.
So, I go to Audi dealership 8 May 2017 turn the car over to service rep. after a couple hours later dude come out and mention that all 4 corners are warped use a dial indicator to check the run out of the rotors. So, I get a quote for $ 2400.00 to replace all 4 corners. I already knew about the front brakes, so now I’m feeling some type of way, and then he mentions that because it was a buyback that Audi washed their hands with the brake piece, he also goes to mention that my problem maybe my wheel hub assembly is bad recommended I should do a run out measure with a dial indicator which was close to $ 500.00 for the test and then if they need to be replace then it would cost about $ 4100.00.
So now I can feel my heart racing like what did I get myself into. So, I didn’t get no repairs done. Bottom line I took my car back. And on the 80 miles drive home I was I was so upset and confused about what just happen to me. So, I decided to fix it myself, I found some rotors on line but there are conflicting information concerning the rotors sizes.
This is what on the car now VIN# WAUJGAFD1FN012926
Sizes are: FRONT rotors 380.36mm =14.97in
REAR rotors 356.22mm=14.02in
But online it shows that the v8 front rotor sizes is 380.36mm NOT V6.
Once I figure out which rotor size I need then it the wheelhub assembly is needed.
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to purchase the right rotors and pads & Wheel hub assembly beside going back to the dealership. Any help is very appreciative. I’m located in the Nashville area.

This maybe my first and last A8. What a lesson learned. SMH….

Thanks, you
I've never heard of that particular problem. It's certainly a mystery. Caliper out of spec? Brake pressure system fault? Calibration issue leaving pads hanging?

I always bought my parts online here; Audiparts, it's a dealer but they offer some good discounts off of MSRP.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the quick response. I will check out the website.

Mystery that's going to add up very quickly $$$$$..
Old 05-09-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably have the same setup I have but I would call a dealer, give them your vin and double check the rotor size. Mine is 356 front and 330 rear I believe. Anyway, front is OEM only on the rotors but lots of choices on the rear. I used RockAuto and got front and rear pads, rear rotors, shim kits, and sensors for front and back for I think $215 shipped.

I have heard OEM pads are rather hard on the rotors. I went with Stoptech Posi Quiet pads all the way around. Lots of great reviews from LS owners is why I choose them. Front rotors are about $200 - $250 each online. Don't forget you will need VCDS to release the parking brake for the rear brake install.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 05-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I called 2 dealership out of state they gave me the same info on rotor size. They couldn't advise me if I was to change out the size of rotors .
Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm do some more research tomorrow. This is wearing me down.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Am I missing something??

you bought a buyback that had huge recurrent problems leading to multiple rotor replacements - and you're just going to repeat the same repair??

the dealer told you there's an underlying problem with the wheel hubs that's causing the repeated brake problems and you're ignoring that to just reports the same repair that resulted in the eventual buy back ?

you have to diagnose and repair the underlying issue that caused the buy back.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't bother trying to change the part size. Just asking for issues. If the pads are aggressive, combined with a heavy car, and possibly the driver or driving environment you will wear the brakes down. The pad is the problem not the rotors in general. Your car may have other issues as mentioned. Also, RockAuto has everything except the front rotors at much better prices. No reason to use OEM pads or rear rotors. One Audi rep mentioned to me when chatting about the car and owners needing brakes between every 10k and some every 40k miles depending on how you drive.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 05-10-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rohanna Rc8 wheels

Car went to a shop called Eurofix in Nashville TN , they specialize in Audi, M.B., Volvo etc..
Took a test drive with a master mechanic for about 15 miles city/highway. Returned to the shop and the mechanic took the car in for about 30 mins , and then he took another test drive alone, came back and did some testing and I was told it was my rear rotors and he recommended to change pads also.

So he said my fronts are fine. So he went to explain that if you get shaking in the pedal its the front if you get shaking the entire car its the rear. I probably didn't explain this correctly but I hop you get point , this is all new information to me.

So he went to say that the job is going to cost me $ 954.00 out the door with a 3 yr warranty. I just dropped my head and said here we go again $$$$.

I realize @ that moment just because you can afford the car payments don't mean you can afford the maintenance on a high end car.

He also checked my wheel hubs and said I was good to go, He mention that some Audi or any service reps will lie and rob you of your money with a smile on there face. SMH.

I guess I'll be doing my own labor.

I would like to thank everyone for your advice.

A joke for the day is: New wheels and bad breaks don't go together lol.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, you choose to get bent over. Don't deny it. You could of ordered the parts for $200. If you plan things wisely maintenance on these cars don't have to be a rip. Especially if you can do the basic stuff yourself. Brakes, oil, battery, filters.

Quick Reply: 15 A8 D4 Chronic Brake Nightmares