A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Audi A8

2010 Audi A8 review by iMotors.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thumbs up All I have to say is.....

finally, the British Automotive press knows precisely what a great car is (and are NOT the jerks they often comes across as; IT IS ABOUT FRIGGING TIME!!!!! )!!!!!

HALLEFRIGGINGLUIAH!!!!!!!!!! to that!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

In pictures and video, the new exterior does not look as nice as the D3. The rear end, especially, looks like a larger scale A4. The other missed opportunity is in the engine department. 372-hp and 328 lb-ft are not bad at all, but they are both below the power level of every competitor in the luxury market, many of which have been on the market for 2-3 years already. They need to bore out the 4.2 V8 or turbocharge it to generate class competitive torque levels.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
In pictures and video, the new exterior does not look as nice as the D3. The rear end, especially, looks like a larger scale A4. The other missed opportunity is in the engine department. 372-hp and 328 lb-ft are not bad at all, but they are both below the power level of every competitor in the luxury market, many of which have been on the market for 2-3 years already. They need to bore out the 4.2 V8 or turbocharge it to generate class competitive torque levels.
At least wait to see the D4 Audi A8 in person before you decide on how you feel about the exterior and interior design and styling of the car.

The F01/F02 BMW 7 Series looked decent outside and very nice inside in pictures and on video but in person this car looks like garbage outside and barely adequate at the absolute best inside.

No wonder BMW is in so much trouble. Most (But NOT all) of their vehicles now look like garbage (especially outside) and have loads and loads of problems that are far, far worse than the VW/Audi Group's problems (which they do not have much of anymore-if Consumer Reports, True Delta and JD Power and Associates are any indication) ever have been (again, if Consumer Reports, True Delta and JD Power and Associates are any indication)-and, most likely, ever will be. As recently as seven years ago, I loved BMWs more than any other vehicles on Earth. Now, I would NOT go anywhere near a BMW (given-for the most part, anyway-how junky and ugly they truly have become from the early to mid 2000s to present, a true pity and shame, if you ask me).

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 03-27-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree on the power and would have preferred a supercharged or twin turbo charged 4.2, which I would not be surprised to see unless Audi brings the TDI here for the D4. Of course, the average price of gas over the next several years may give pause to those who want large displacement NA engines for the sake of knowing that they can pass a bit faster or get off the line quicker than the big MB or BMW. Styling-wise the D4 is evolutionary (no surprise)and will be much wider than the D3 and probably proportionately wider than the new A4, to which many have compared the styling of the D4. Can't say that I agree that the D4 is a blown-up version of the new A4, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. For anyone with a recent model year A8 with the sport option, daily driving is very satisfying. No, it will not win a stoplight race with a tt 7 Series or S550. If Audi wants market share it will need to be more competitive on its leases for the D4. Although the technology and exceptional design, especially the interior, are better than the D3, getting one's leased D3 CPO'd and buying it may be appealing absent attractive lease deals on the D4. Of course, AoA may not CPO the cars coming off lease and just sent them to the auction.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I really wish they would bring the TDI here. That would really make the car fantastic!
That said, after sitting in the new A8 at the auto show (they actually stopped the turntable it was on while me, my wife and a factory rep sat in the vehicle and talk for about 20 minutes)I can't say enough good things about it. I am very happy with my '06 A8L, but this is really the next step along that path.
Neither the BMW nor the Jaguar compare to the refinement of the cabin. I am not looking for a sports car. I have a motorcycle for my "ya-yas" and want true comfort from my auto. The new Audi is the best vehicle I have seen to meet this requirement for under 100K.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default D4 design...

I love the modern and aggressive looking front end and new LED headlights. If you were to see a D4 quickly advancing in your rear view mirror, it conveys that it will be happy to eat your car with some fava beans and a nice chianti if you don't get out of the way.

Unfortunately, the new rear end looks like a metallurgical gluteoplasty performed by Dr. Moreau. Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the A4 rear end. However, what looks great on the A4 does not translate well to the A8. The raised rear deck and "tornado line" required to connect the new derriere are an affront to the near perfect design of the D3 badonkadonk.

As for more power, the W12 has been improved but there is a much smaller demographic for that model. The challenge is to add more power to an already highly optimized v8 powerplant and preserve reliability and gas mileage as much as possible. Adding a supercharger or turbos would likely push the output into the range they are planning for the future D4 S8.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Question

Originally Posted by Ringmeister
I love the modern and aggressive looking front end and new LED headlights. If you were to see a D4 quickly advancing in your rear view mirror, it conveys that it will be happy to eat your car with some fava beans and a nice chianti if you don't get out of the way.

Unfortunately, the new rear end looks like a metallurgical gluteoplasty performed by Dr. Moreau. Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the A4 rear end. However, what looks great on the A4 does not translate well to the A8. The raised rear deck and "tornado line" required to connect the new derriere are an affront to the near perfect design of the D3 badonkadonk.

As for more power, the W12 has been improved but there is a much smaller demographic for that model. The challenge is to add more power to an already highly optimized v8 powerplant and preserve reliability and gas mileage as much as possible. Adding a supercharger or turbos would likely push the output into the range they are planning for the future D4 S8.
Have you even seen the car in person yet, Ringmeister? In person, the D4 Audi A8/A8L/S8 (even the rear end) looks a lot less (and I REALLY do mean a LOT less) like the B8 A4/A4L/S4 (again, even the rear end).
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
Have you even seen the car in person yet, Ringmeister? In person, the D4 Audi A8/A8L/S8 (even the rear end) looks a lot less (and I REALLY do mean a LOT less) like the B8 A4/A4L/S4 (again, even the rear end).
No I have not seen it in person but I have seen most of the available pictures from various sources. It may be more different than I think from an A4 rear end but it is not art like the D3 is art. Don't get me wrong, other that this one aspect, I am sure I would love to own a D4.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was not impressed with the D4 styling until I saw it at the NY auto show. You really have to see the car in person to appreciate it.

However, Audi appears to have sacrificed trunk room for styling points. It should be larger.

Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A8