2012 3.0tdi power steering problem - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 3.0tdi power steering problem

Notices
A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

2012 3.0tdi power steering problem

Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2012 3.0tdi power steering problem

Hi, I have started to have intermittent problem with the power steering cutting out, normally at low speed and with little/no throttle. It has been scanned and no fault codes and also no hydrolic leaks and the fluid is at the correct level. Could a faulty battery cause this? The reason I ask is that it had a new alternator a few months ago and although I have not had any warnings or problems starting I have noticed that the stop/start isn't working either? Many thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Power steering pumps are known to die on 3.0 TDI. I had to change mine in my Q7 TDI. It was just faulty. I bought mine from europaparts for like $300. When it comes to stop/start I would say check FOB battery. If FOB battery is new get someone with Ross tech and make sure your comfort setting is enabled for start/stop. Also, car battery needs to be programmed into the car for proper operation.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NotoriousGLU View Post
Power steering pumps are known to die on 3.0 TDI. I had to change mine in my Q7 TDI. It was just faulty. I bought mine from europaparts for like $300. When it comes to stop/start I would say check FOB battery. If FOB battery is new get someone with Ross tech and make sure your comfort setting is enabled for start/stop. Also, car battery needs to be programmed into the car for proper operation.
thanks for that, can I please ask what is a FOB battery? The start/stop did work before and it hasn't been programmed out although I did always turn it off when I started the car normally as I really don't like the engine turning off just as you want to pull out of a junction!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What I mean by FOB is key fob. Sorry. Do you mean start stop as auto start stop not engine start stop?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What I mean by FOB is key fob. Sorry. Do you mean start stop as auto start stop not engine start stop?
sorry, my fault I didn't put it very clearly! No it starts fine but the auto stop/start doesn't work
Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would scan it with VCDS and see what is going on with that system. Was the battery properly installed in the car? Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 05-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would scan it with VCDS and see what is going on with that system. Was the battery properly installed in the car? Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki
I have owned the car for about 20 months and not had to replace the battery so I'm assuming it was installed correctly when I purchased it, I'm thinking maybe it is just past it's best? The car is about 6 1/2 years old and has about 190k on it.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris Brookes View Post

I have owned the car for about 20 months and not had to replace the battery so I'm assuming it was installed correctly when I purchased it, I'm thinking maybe it is just past it's best? The car is about 6 1/2 years old and has about 190k on it.
if the battery is 6 years old replace it.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twglasgow View Post

if the battery is 6 years old replace it.

+1 on that. For me after 3-4 years, any time a battery then shows signs of weakness, I replace. 6-Ĺ years is pretty decent already.