A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 A8 may have new 4.0 turbo V8 with 400-hp...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 2012 A8 may have new 4.0 turbo V8 with 400-hp...

...according to Inside Line. I think I'd be really ticked off if I re-upped with the new D4 in April when my current D3 lease ends, only to find out that the 372-hp normally aspirated 4.2 litre V8 will be upgraded in 6-months to the Turbocharged 400-hp 4.0 litre V8.

Audi A8
2012 Audi A8: After a full redesign in 2011, Audi may upgrade the A8's base engine from a normally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 to a turbocharged, direct-injection 4.0-liter V8 with around 400 horsepower.

2014 Audi A8: Look for a minor midcycle refresh for the 2014 model year.

(Source: Edmund's Inside Line - Aug 3, 2010)

If true, you'd think they would have introduced the new V8 to coincide with the D4 launch, and not let buyers of the cars produced in the 1st model year feel their purchase is in any way antiquated by the start of MY #2. Not good marketing, IMHO --- and may lead me in other directions when my current lease ends.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem is, the S550 is due for a major change in 2012! (N/T)

NT mean No Text
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Would never likely consider the Merc. Have disliked the design and overall feel of the car for a long time. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What, then would you consider?

I have looked a the Jag, BMW, Lexus, Porsche...even the BMW 6 convertible....Nothing exept the Merc (for me) comes close.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Emauss
I have looked a the Jag, BMW, Lexus, Porsche...even the BMW 6 convertible....Nothing exept the Merc (for me) comes close.
I have a friend who came out of a BMW 7-series and traded it for the M-B S550 about 2 years ago; he's indicated that there won't be a 2nd S-Class in his future---nice car, but too boring a ride. Considering he and I share the same preference for spirited driving (but not to the extent of an S8 or S63/65 AMG), his experience with the Merc speaks volumes to me.

I have two primary options that would allow me to buy from the dealership that I like very much: Pamamera and A7.

Don't love the rear of the Porsche Panamera, but the interior isn't bad at all, and it's supposed to drive like a dream (something I'll test soon). The more likely option may be the new A7---sure, no V8 but the supercharged 3.0TFSI V6 is supposed to be a terrific engine...very spirited and quick. The exterior gets good grades in my book, but not really loving the interior pics I've seen so far. Will have to wait and see how U.S. spec A7 interiors look and feel when demo cars arrive.

Not saying I wouldn't stay with an A8, but if they do intend to change over to the 4.0 turbo in 2012, I'd have to think real hard on it; especially if pricing isn't more flexible if they do announce the intended engine upgrade. But I have 6-months to wait out the situation before I'd need to order a car for April delivery. Perhaps a lease extension holding me over until October '11 for the 2012 MY release is something to consider.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm ready to make a decision and buy as soon as I test drive the A8.
I was disappointed with the Panamera. It test drove it and REALLY wanted it to work for me. I had a Porsche a while ago and Manhattan Motors is a fine dealer. Unfortunately the can just didn't ahve the luxury I want.
I optioned the 6-cylinder very nicely and with the 5% discount I could get it would be under 100K (about 95 actually)....but I plan on keeping the car for 5 years and I would really get tired of it after about 2....
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Emauss
I'm ready to make a decision and buy as soon as I test drive the A8.
If you get the new A8 before January, I'll rely on your ownership impressions (beyond a test drive) of the car for my go/no-go decision.

Not saying that I wouldn't get the A8 if they did announce a MY 2012 base engine upgrade, but I know myself well enough that it would just frost me to have a new model just 5-months into its U.S. lifecycle and not have the latest engine---especially with a turbo boost (I've kinda been missing the kick from the twin turbos on my old A6 and allroad 2.7T engines).
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
...according to Inside Line. I think I'd be really ticked off if I re-upped with the new D4 in April when my current D3 lease ends, only to find out that the 372-hp normally aspirated 4.2 litre V8 will be upgraded in 6-months to the Turbocharged 400-hp 4.0 litre V8.

Audi A8
2012 Audi A8: After a full redesign in 2011, Audi may upgrade the A8's base engine from a normally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 to a turbocharged, direct-injection 4.0-liter V8 with around 400 horsepower.

2014 Audi A8: Look for a minor midcycle refresh for the 2014 model year.

(Source: Edmund's Inside Line - Aug 3, 2010)

If true, you'd think they would have introduced the new V8 to coincide with the D4 launch, and not let buyers of the cars produced in the 1st model year feel their purchase is in any way antiquated by the start of MY #2. Not good marketing, IMHO --- and may lead me in other directions when my current lease ends.
For the bazillionth time, eventually, throughout the Volkswagen/Audi Group worldwide, single turbochargers will completely be done away with, twin turbochargers will be reserved for diesel engines (which will be twin turbocharged only) and gasoline engines will be normally aspirated and supercharged only (NOT turbocharged, twin turbocharged and so on). Edmunds Inside Line is 100% incorrect about a turbocharged gasoline V8 for the 2012 A8 and A8L.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
For the bazillionth time, eventually, throughout the Volkswagen/Audi Group worldwide, single turbochargers will completely be done away with, twin turbochargers will be reserved for diesel engines (which will be twin turbocharged only) and gasoline engines will be normally aspirated and supercharged only (NOT turbocharged, twin turbocharged and so on). Edmunds Inside Line is 100% incorrect about a turbocharged gasoline V8 for the 2012 A8 and A8L.
"Eventually" leaves plenty of room for interpretation and implementation; 2-yrs., 5-yrs, ???. However, if there is ANY change in the base engine in 2012 (turbocharged, supercharged, or whatever), it's still the same issue in my book.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I share your concerns. The Panamera 4S is very different from the D4 and much more money. It actually feels more like a Carrera 4S than a sedan, as unlikely as that may seem. The Pan rear end design is the major impediment however, especially given the premium price of the 4S. I am inclined to wait to see the A7, which according to AutoWeek and Motor Trend will have the D4 4.2 engine. My D3 lease is up in Oct and I am not inclined to rush to the D4, especially with the probability that Audi will upgrade the engine, which they should have done at launch. You may recall that there was speculation over a year ago about a 400 hp turbo charged V8 in the new D4, so it is not surprising that this rumor or news has resurfaced. After all, even though Audi is not in the hp war, the A8 cannot be allowed to be that far behind BMW and MB in big sedan power. Yes, the D4 is noticeably better dynamically than the recent D3, but not the quantum difference offered by the Pan 4S. The information about the A7 is that it will have basically the same technology and options as the D4 so if the design is appealing in person it will be very tough competition for the D4.

Quick Reply: 2012 A8 may have new 4.0 turbo V8 with 400-hp...