A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8L 4.0t

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A8L 4.0t

Thinking of buying this week

savanna pearl with baleo brown interior
full leather package
design package
rear seat entertainment
comfort package
20” wheels
led headlights
cold weather package

priced new at $103k

dealer prices at $32k with 31k mileage.

Good deal? Things I should ask when I take for a test drive tomorrow.

Ive owned A4s and A6s in the past. Been almost 10 years since I last bought an Audi.

Appreciate your input and thoughts!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Total bargain at that price man considering the package and mileage !
You guys in US are so blessed not having heavy taxes like we have here in crazy EU.

I have a pearl white, balao brown, rse, cold weather package, 20, led rear and front, it’s really unique here.
I only have the 3.0L but still a big engine for EU as gas doesn’t cost the same.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

I would do a quick check for the 1k 3k vibration issue to see if it is present and if it is negotiate for L+R exhaust pipe replacement. To check just rev to 1k and 3k in neutral and see if there is an obvious vibration of the vehicle.

You should also get a trusted independent Audi mechanic or shop to give it a once over. I paid way too much for one from my Audi dealer and it was a waste of money.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualrc
I would do a quick check for the 1k 3k vibration issue to see if it is present and if it is negotiate for L+R exhaust pipe replacement. To check just rev to 1k and 3k in neutral and see if there is an obvious vibration of the vehicle.

You should also get a trusted independent Audi mechanic or shop to give it a once over. I paid way too much for one from my Audi dealer and it was a waste of money.
Are service records available? If not, have it looked at. I'd say most of us know the price of entry into this arena, it's another thing to have surprises pop up and bite you in the wallet.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First, the D4 is a huge improvement over the D3. I would recommend stretching your budget, or waiting, to get a D4 if possible.

This looks like fully featured car at a good price (~70% drop in price over 6yrs). We know it is a great car, the only unknown is the condition. I would get it inspected by another Audi dealer, or a trustworthy independent mechanic. Then I would look at the service records, as mentioned by TinyElviss. I would recommend talking price only after you are satisfied with the condition of the car.

If the condition and the service history check out, and you are set on getting a D3, you should pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Spock1234; 02-12-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spock1234
First, the D4 is a huge improvement over the D3. I would recommend stretching your budget, or waiting, to get a D4 if possible.

This looks like fully featured car at a good price (~70% drop in price over 6yrs). We know it is a great car, the only unknown is the condition. I would get it inspected by another Audi dealer, or a trustworthy independent mechanic. Then I would look at the service records, as mentioned by TinyElviss. I would recommend talking price only after you are satisfied with the condition of the car.

If the condition and the service history check out, and you are set on getting a D3, you should pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision.
He’s getting a D4, there were no 4.0 D3s. I’m willing to bet OP is out of the USA where D4s were introduced a year earlier.

my bad, just re-read the OP, he mentions it’s a 2013 so this is no matter what a D4.

Last edited by theanimala; 02-13-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

My 2013 A8L 4.0T is an awesome car! I absolutely love it and although the huge drop in value is not a plus for an original owner like me, they are a smokin’ bargain for people like you! As has been stated already, get an independent inspection done and if it checks out, this should be an excellent deal. I have no intention of selling mine anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one mentioned it, pull a CarFax.

Carfax sometimes is a good gauge of how the car was maintained. With just 31k miles you won't see much but it would be wonderful if you saw Service intervals of every ~4k miles, which tells you the previous owner was ALL over the oil changes. Carfax could also show damage (not an accident) which are adjusted oddly by EVERYONE. Also the Carfax could show ownership situations which you may/or may not be comfortable with. (Lease, fleet, etc.)

Maintenance records was mentioned a couple of times, Yes, see if you can get that from an Audi dealer and/or talk to them about it. It's one benefit of allowing the dealer to do the Pre-Purchase Inspection, my recent experience has been they share everything and anything. However sometimes you can just call and get them to open up about a vehicle.

Gotta biggy-back the vibration issue at 3k RPM, that's not normal, ensure it doesn't exist.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive

AFirstly thanks for all the input and advice.

So, far was delivered to my home for an extended test drive last night. Drive kids to school then did my 30 mile commute to work and I love how it drives. Only downside for me right now are:
1) Exterior Color - savanna beige not my favorite
2) No drivers assistance package

i did get the carfax. Clean throughout. ATwo owners to date. Corporate Audi Exec then sold after 3 months to the public.

Interior is amazing. Audi design finish in bale brown with white stitching.

All recalls have have been completed. Dealer (Audi) has completed full certified inspection on car and has replaced tires and retouched wheels that were scratched.

Havent yet checked for exhaust vibration. Will do that later today.

Will keep you you posted on my decision.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No drivers assistance package

might be a dealbreaker for me. The adaptive cruise control on my 14 S8 is really good and puts you into the modern era in terms of drivers assistance. I made sure to buy a 2016+ Prius for my wife after I realized how helpful dynamic / radar cruise control is.

Also this turbo failure stuff in 2013 models is scary. Not to say my 2014 is immune, believe me it worries me too.

Quick Reply: 2013 A8L 4.0t