A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 S8 20" Wheel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S8 20" Wheel Setup

I've decided to move to a 20" wheel for more tire options and have likely settled on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 in 275/40/20. My first question is related to the wheel size. It looks like I can do a 20x9 rim with a 5x112 bolt pattern and 35mm offset. If I find a wheel in that size do I need to be concerned about it fitting or will all wheels with those measurements fit.

My second question is if anyone has seen a replica wheel like the new A8L Sport wheels called 20" Audi Sport® 5-double-spoke design Galvano Silver that look like this:

I've found this wheel with the measurements listed above and may have it refinished to match the silver color if I can't find the Galvano wheel as a replica wheel.

Here is my current setup and if I make this change, I'll have these 21's for sale: I'm making he change to slightly soften the ride and for far more tire options than what are available for the 21x9 that I currently have.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Hartmann in my mind are sort of the go-to replica wheel guys for Audi's. They have that wheel among the various ones they run. https://www.hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels#uid-3 They have been around at least into the D3 era for these sorts of wheels. I always use OE, so just passing on the info. They are known as heavy, but then also not known to bend like a lot of lighter less expensive cast aftermarket wheels. Having the S8 and also coming off the 21's, I really believe the various OE 21's are way too porky, and opted to go to the factory forged ones in 20's like on my prior D3. Several choices there, but not the Galvanos. I still don't know the weight of the ones on your S8 now BTW.

The "true" offset is ET37 for most D4 wheels in 20 x9 (or 19's or 21's if 9) , as well as the S7 ones that are found more commonly. Yes, I think a few are 35mm, which should work fine and with an almost imperceptible offset delta. If you bide your time, you will find an OE set of Galvanos. I have personally seen several sets of them sell in the last 4-6 months on eBay or AZ in various finishes, often for not more than the quality replica's and in good to take off shape. There is also a finish (early smoke?) that was recalled/swapped out for paint quality issues, so you might want to look carefully if OE. The smoked ones with the machined face are the revised ones in that general finish IIRC.

Since I run 12mm spacers in rear on factory 20's w/ the 275's, I know you can go to as low as a net 25 offset or so there and it looks good. In front my eyeballing it says maybe an 8mm would be ideal (which they don't make in hub centric), so down to ET29 or 30 still should work and look good. If you are running them for winters by chance, then I would try to stay with factory offset or removable spacers--pushing them outward means more lower sill and fender nicks from winter road crap.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-11-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorrow
I've decided to move to a 20" wheel for more tire options and have likely settled on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 in 275/40/20. My first question is related to the wheel size. It looks like I can do a 20x9 rim with a 5x112 bolt pattern and 35mm offset. If I find a wheel in that size do I need to be concerned about it fitting or will all wheels with those measurements fit.

My second question is if anyone has seen a replica wheel like the new A8L Sport wheels called 20" Audi Sport® 5-double-spoke design Galvano Silver that look like this:

I've found this wheel with the measurements listed above and may have it refinished to match the silver color if I can't find the Galvano wheel as a replica wheel.

Here is my current setup and if I make this change, I'll have these 21's for sale: I'm making he change to slightly soften the ride and for far more tire options than what are available for the 21x9 that I currently have.

I just went from the 21's on my 2015 S8 and ordered Hartmann 20's same wheel design and ordered firstone 275-40-20's for the winter. I will store my 21's in the attic till spring.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

dougpaper. do you have any pics? I noticed Hartmann shows the 29mm offset will work. Did you have to use spacers. My current wheel is a 35MM so there's a 6mm difference and I don't' quite understand how that will impact the wheel fitting.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorrow
dougpaper. do you have any pics? I noticed Hartmann shows the 29mm offset will work. Did you have to use spacers. My current wheel is a 35MM so there's a 6mm difference and I don't' quite understand how that will impact the wheel fitting.

What it means is that the wheel flange is 6mm closer to the centerline of the wheel. Basically the wheel fits 6mm closer to the fender.

6mm is roughly a quarter inch.

Should not be a problem.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is an offset calculator link that has a decent interface as well as visual representation. Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit There are many of these around, but this one may help you "see it."

Bottom line, at ET 29 it is going to look buttoned down and virtually exactly dialed in in front. Shouldn't rub, though if it were about 5mm more aggressive it would be approaching the ragged edge as best I can eyeball my S8. I won't tolerate any rubbing no matter how remote the scenario or extreme the movement so you know my personal "yardstick." In back there would still be a bit room to space for the most aggressive minded, but simplest and cheapest is just leave it be. Basically the 6 mm more offset (or 8mm if you had the common 37mm 9" fitments) will make it look a little more planted, but nothing boy racer/amateur mod stuff by a wide margin. Frankly if they ever did a full on RS8, they would probably use offsets like these. On the other hand, if you want it to look like an old Camry or many other forgettable cars with the wheels tucked way, way under the fenders, this ain't it.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread but how many pounds do you torque your wheels too?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

120 Nm/aprox 90 ft. pounds.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Confirming what MP4.2+6.0 said. I've read 88-90lbs or torque tightness
Old 11-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not comfortable with low pressure cast wheels on a big heavy car. I would hold out for OE forged wheels or look to the aftermarket. If you're going to change, make an improvement....

Quick Reply: 2013 S8 20" Wheel Setup